Respected Contributor

Re: Are t.v. ads having a negative effect on us?

i don't pay attention to commercials. i wouldn't dream of walking into my doctor's office and ask to be prescribed a certain drug.

that's the doctor's job to take care of me.

Honored Contributor

At one time at least there were a few that were clever, entertaining and funny commercials....now they are just downright annoying!!!!  It seems that the commercial time has grown and the commercials usually take up more time than the TV show--They have no impact on me and on the pharmaceutical ones after they read off all the side effects of these drugs it sounds that they are worse than the condition it's supposed to help a person with......I usually am so tired of seeing the same commercials over and over that I grab my remote and mute it or turn the channel.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

I know they are affecting me in a negative way.  I tend to be a worrier, by nature, and the constant barrage of pharmaceutical commercials makes it worse.

Whatever happened to "Choosy mothers choose Jif" and "Good to the Last Drop"?  I wish they'd focus more on other things besides health.

I'm a worrier to a large degree (depends on what it is though).  Commercials have no affect on me.  I marvel at the side affects of prescription drug commercials because oft times the side affects are worse than the cure the medicine is supposed to bring.  

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bri21 wrote:

I honestly never even pay attention to them.

If I'm watching something that I've DVR'd, I fast forward through them. 

Honestly, I think all pharmaceutical ads and those lawyer ads should be banned from all advertising.

@Bri21

AMEN! AMEN!  those local lawyer ads have to be the worst....there is one that I think has purchased 99% of the air time ...... it's ridiculous how frequently they come on.....and if you go to the cable channels....he's there too......ARRRGGGHHH!!!  It was a MAJOR mistake to let the lawyers advertise---JMHO!!! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

My Dr says ,it's Madison Ave. practicing medicine, and he is right

@cherry

I asked my doctor about one drug that my sis was taking .....and she told me the same thing your Dr said....LOL!

Honored Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

The big pharmaceuticals companies have lots of $$$$ to spend on prime-time advertising, and the demographic that watches television has gotten older, so they're a perfect target audience for these commercials. I agree-- the prescription drug commercials have gotten out of control. I find them totally unwatchable.

All true Cookie... @handygal2 and the best part of it is while they're spending big bucks inundating us with ads to convince us to convince medical practitioners to prescribe, we also get to pick up the tab for the exorbitant prices we're then expected to pay for some of these 'wonder' drugs...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Not on me. I rarely pay much attention, so I might get a kick out of a clever or cute one, and I Mute or change the channel with ones that annoy me; I sure don't continue to watch those.

The drug ads? Personally I mostly laugh at the unreality of their presentation. You don't just go to your doctor and say hey I saw this great-sounding drug on TV and will you give it to me - the commercial said it's better than what you're giving me now - why haven't you been up to date in suggesting it, huh doc?

And that's beside the obvious - if it's new and "hot" and on TV, chances are about 90% that your insurance won't pay for it, or you will be liable for about 75% of its cost. If you're able to get it at a discount - those discounts do end, and then what?

Since the FDA fast-tracks many drugs and the investigation & clinical trials are much less than in previous years for many, early adopters are also guinea pigs.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat wrote:

I know they are affecting me in a negative way.  I tend to be a worrier, by nature, and the constant barrage of pharmaceutical commercials makes it worse.

Whatever happened to "Choosy mothers choose Jif" and "Good to the Last Drop"?  I wish they'd focus more on other things besides health.

Yes they do have a negative/sad effect on me sometimes.

I like to watch older tv shows and in the commercials they have people falling, can't breathe, just died and no life insurance for their family,dogs being mistreated you name it just makes me sad.

Especially the ones about falling because my mom used to fall a lot.Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

You are SO RIGHT!!!!!!! I'm an older female who's retired - so I turn the tv on/off all day --- and many of the commercials make me depressed. Animals that are abused; children with deadly diseases, drugs that we can't live without, etc. I always say, "thank G-d" for the remote. I never watch commercials, but sometimes I don't mute it fast enough. I was thinking the other day, where are the commercials from the past like detergents, etc. Also, there's way too many commercials. Now - they're also having station breaks to talk about the weather (locally and out-of-state), news commentators telling us about a deadly accident, flood, or a violent shooting. Years ago, watching tv was mostly enjoyable -- now, it's stressful.

Respected Contributor

I think TV has come to nothing but advertising.  I can't enjoy a movie because of the commercial breaks.  Too many.  There is nothing much I even enjoy watching anymore.  That's why I like watching QVC.  One of the biggest money making rip-off industry, prescription drugs and insurance.