Honored Contributor

Are t.v. ads having a negative effect on us?

I know they are affecting me in a negative way.  I tend to be a worrier, by nature, and the constant barrage of pharmaceutical commercials makes it worse.

Whatever happened to "Choosy mothers choose Jif" and "Good to the Last Drop"?  I wish they'd focus more on other things besides health.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are t.v. ads having a negative effect on us?

I don't let commercials affect me.

I choose to not let them bother me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat, that would be a yes and a no for us. Hate hate hate the violent movies and games being advertised.  How many times to do they have to show us the same car commercials over and over. And all the pharmaceutical commercials are ridiculous, they make it sound like you can just waltz into your Doctor's office and get that certain drug. 

We turn the station and there it is again.  Our biggest complaint are the violent movies and games for kids'. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

I have a DVR and fast forward through the commercials. Sometimes I forget because I'm doing something else while I watch TV and if I don't even notice they're on, I'm guessing they don't really bother me.

The ads that DO bother me are ads like the Carl's Jr/Hardees ads that are super sexist, not the pharmaceutical ads.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

I know they are affecting me in a negative way.  I tend to be a worrier, by nature, and the constant barrage of pharmaceutical commercials makes it worse.

Whatever happened to "Choosy mothers choose Jif" and "Good to the Last Drop"?  I wish they'd focus more on other things besides health.

@house_cat

If you're a "worrier by nature", then DON'T watch them.  Either mute,  or,  better yet, fast forward through them.

I always record my favorite shows and watch them later ...  fast forwarding through all commercials. IMO, It's more efficient to watch a one hour show in 43 minutes.  Try it.

Valued Contributor

I honestly never even pay attention to them.

If I'm watching something that I've DVR'd, I fast forward through them. 

Honestly, I think all pharmaceutical ads and those lawyer ads should be banned from all advertising.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat  Don't let anyone, including marketing executives who do not even have a medical degree, tell you you are not okay and need to take a drug.  How would they know?  

Honored Contributor

The big pharmaceuticals companies have lots of $$$$ to spend on prime-time advertising, and the demographic that watches television has gotten older, so they're a perfect target audience for these commercials. I agree-- the prescription drug commercials have gotten out of control. I find them totally unwatchable.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I mostly ignore TV ads, so I would say they don't bother me in general.  The news (local and national)  is what has a negative effect to me, so I choose not to watch it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No....if you chose not to allow it to have a negative effect.  Not a nano second of a thought is given to negative t.v. ads.