Honored Contributor

Re: Are short men also called petite?

Never to the best of my knowledge.

Also, I can't imagine a "petite" department for men would attract much business.  In the years when I used personal ads, I think men lied more about their height than any other specific trait.  I met more then a few 5"6" men who were shorter than I was at 5"4".

Honored Contributor

@June2 wrote:

Just curious.

Your question made me laugh! Don't know the answer to your question, but it made my day! Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

Petite is French for small and it's only used for feminine nouns. Petit would be used for masculine noun but I've never heard it used in English to describe a man or a clothing item for a man.
Respected Contributor

@June2 wrote:
Maybe they could come up with SOMETHING......

They did!  It's called "short".  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

Recently I began speaking with a man on line that is 5 feet 1. Height doesn't matter to me but I have noticed in my mind I keep calling him cute and tiny lol! 

Honored Contributor

The meaning of the word petite has changed.  It used to be a small woman.  Now it's simply means short.  LIke the word curvy.  Now fat women can use that word to describe themselves. Men never had that word, because petite is feminine.  Men are simply short.  A term that limits men because an desirable trait in men is to be tall.  If you drop the e at the end of petite it is masculine. 

Honored Contributor

My husband was shorter than me.  It's been my experience that short men don't have a problem with the word short.  If you add stout or portly, it becomes a problem.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Pqfan, when/if you meet him, it might make a difference.  When I did online dating years ago, a guy told me he was about 5' 6".  When I met him, I saw that he was barely taller than me.  I'm only 5 ft.  I didn't like the fact that he lied more than anything.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

I would thnk men might find it highly insulting. They seem to add an inch or  so. if they feel they are too short

Valued Contributor

nope -- just short -- in suit sizes anyway.

They have short, regular, tall and extra tall.

Hey you, get off of my cloud...