Respected Contributor

Re: Are people losing their sense of humor?

@biancardi wrote:

@Smaug wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

I like silly humor like monty python. 

John Cleese and Eric Idle are going to be touring the US in Oct. Doesn't look like they're coming to the West Coast though. Boo.

they aren't coming up far enough on the east coast either Smiley Sad

Aw poop Smiley Sad

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Esteemed Contributor

Political correctness has become ridiculous.  It makes me crazy, everyone is "offended".  I just want to scream "get over yourself"!!  Being able to laugh at yourself is a great attribute. Our uniqueness can be very funny, so many need to" lighten up"!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Since I was a kid, I never liked really mean humor.  I didn't like watching Abbott and Costello or the Three Stooges.  Never liked crabby comics like Don Rickles, sometimes Joan Rivers.  Was never crazy about the screamers either like Sam Kinison. Edited to add  - also never care for comics who threw thing at the audience like that guy who flung fruit - can't remember his name.

I like comics like George Carlin.  People who knew how to turn a phrase and make you stop for a minute and go - I get it, that's funny.

And since I can swear like a dock worker if you get on my bad side, using profanity for the sake of profanity never did it for me either.

Basically, if you don't throw anything at me, don't scream at me, use your words and your wit, sprinkle in a few bad words when appropriate, give me a dash of sarcasm, I'll probably laugh.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

Since I was a kid, I never liked really mean humor.  I didn't like watching Abbott and Costello or the Three Stooges.  Never liked crabby comics like Don Rickles, sometimes Joan Rivers.  Was never crazy about the screamers either like Sam Kinison.

I like comics like George Carlin.  People who knew how to turn a phrase and make you stop for a minute and go - I get it, that's funny.

And since I can swear like a dock worker if you get on my bad side, using profanity for the sake of profanity never did it for me either.

I loved George Carlin - he had this one show that I never forgot - it ran on HBO - about mother earth and how she just wanted us for the plastic. It was a really funny and over the top bit dealing with how we should care for this planet. He used his humor to make us think too

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Honored Contributor

There are very few comics male  or female out there today that I would waste my time listening to. I can't abide the vulgarity and the nonsensical views these people spew.

Honored Contributor

@biancardi wrote:

I loved George Carlin - he had this one show that I never forgot - it ran on HBO - about mother earth and how she just wanted us for the plastic. It was a really funny and over the top bit dealing with how we should care for this planet. He used his humor to make us think too

Exactly Biancardi.  This isn't the term for it, but I call it observational comedy.  When I used to watch Bill Maher - sometimes he could nail it too.

When it comes down to paying to see a comic - I like comics with brains.

I enjoy Monty Python movies too.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I loved a lot of Monty Python, too.  I remember one bit about a gentleman who was in an outdoor loo next to a church and he could hear the minister or priest say "sit" and "rise" and the fellow in the outhouse sat and rose right along with the congregation.  I've been looking for a copy of that bit forever.

George Carlin used to talk about "stuff" and how your house was just a place to store your stuff while you went out to get more stuff.  He certainly understood human beings!  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

No...uh-uh.....nyet...nein...lo...nay...nope
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My answer?  A wholehearted YES.

More and more people each day are too easily-offended due to their increased self-importance.  :womanfrustrated:

Chill out and get over yourselves!