Honored Contributor

Re: Are people losing their sense of humor?

[ Edited ]

Oh, the absolute horror of living in a world where we cannot make a joke at the expense of a rape victim, a fat person, a gay person, a woman, a transgendered person or call someone the R word or the N word.

Wait, that world actually sounds pretty good to me.

If a comedian needs to complain because is is no longer getting a laugh when making a joke about sexual assault, fat people, gay people, transgendered people, or people who are mentally challenged he shouldn't be in comedy because he is to lazy to write a really good joke. (Or she. Plenty of women write bad jokes, too.)

Honored Contributor

I've never heard a joke at the expense of any of those people

Honored Contributor

Cherry, those jokes have been around forever.  All my life I've heard jokes about gay people.  Jokes about mentally challenged people have been big for decades, that coupled with the "bus" jokes.

And certain ethnic groups of people said to be "cheap."  Jokes about overweight people have also always been around.  I can't be the only one who remembers ethnic group jokes about those said to be stupid.

Is there no wonder people felt offended?

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

Cherry, those jokes have been around forever.  All my life I've heard jokes about gay people.  Jokes about mentally challenged people have been big for decades, that coupled with the "bus" jokes.

And certain ethnic groups of people said to be "cheap."  Jokes about overweight people have also always been around.  I can't be the only one who remembers ethnic group jokes about those said to be stupid.

Is there no wonder people felt offended?

People don't tell me those sorts of jokes ,and I have never seen them on TV. Of course I don't watch late night TV now, so I don't know what they get up to

I don't know what a bus joke even is. I must lead a sheltered life

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

I've never heard a joke at the expense of any of those people

Time Magazine put Chris Christie on the cover of their magazine with the headline "The Elephant in the Room" and it was immediately known to be a joke about his weight as well as his personality. It's so pervasive that it made the cover of a respected national news magazine.

I flat out do not believe you've never heard a joke about a fat person, a gay person, a transgendered person, a woman, a racist joke, or a joke about a person who was mentally challenged. They're on TV, online, on news shows, and all around us every day. It is not possible to have been living in America (or maybe the world) and have never heard a joke like that.

Honored Contributor

There were jokes about Caitlyn Jennner (a transgendered person) on this very forum just last month.

Honored Contributor

Believe what you want. My TV watching is quite limited. I don't read Time and my news watching is almost nil. I perfer to read than listen to talking heads. I dislike most TV. I stick to pbs mostly

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

There were jokes about Caitlyn Jennner (a transgendered person) on this very forum just last month.

I didn't see them. I don't think I have been back a month yet. This is getting tiresome. Find someone else to fight with, I am not interested

Honored Contributor

I have to say, even PBS shows make those kind of jokes.  That would include jokes about overweight people, and for sure it includes jokes about Scottish people.

For a while there, PBS routinely put up subtitles whenever someone Scottish was speaking.  Granted, it can be difficult to understand some accents, but it was made into a joke.  Even Scottish people who spoke clearly had subtitles running under them.  They finally made a big deal about it and demanded the BBC etc. STOP with the subtitles.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

@Smaug wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

I like silly humor like monty python. 

John Cleese and Eric Idle are going to be touring the US in Oct. Doesn't look like they're coming to the West Coast though. Boo.

they aren't coming up far enough on the east coast either Smiley Sad

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames