Respected Contributor

Re: Are people losing their sense of humor?

seriously?  Political correctness is ruining humor?  Come on - surely we are better off without the slurs and derogatory terms, aren't we?

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@cherry wrote:

Some of the top comedians say we are. I see it sometimes, I think. I miss Johnny, he seemed to get away with everything, and people still liked him

They( comedians) say the college crowd are the worse and refuse to play to them. Life is bad if you can't laugh

Hi cherry,

I think like the comedians I heard speak about this and that is the PC is getting larger by the minute. You got thousands that appreciate some jokes and 1 that doesn't?  Of course you shouldn't be able to offend that 1 person, and the heck with the other thousands that like to laugh.

Now I have always had a sense of humor, but it is not apparent to many because of my normal(?) way of life. Kinda dry humor I guess would best describe it, but it is all I got. Never been one to be able to repeat a joke well, always seem to mess up the punch line before I get there.

People need to take a chill pill or something. Liked the old days when you could pretty much say things and people weren't concerned about being offended. Now I doubt there is a word or phrase in the English language that won't offend someone.

Me? I don't give a rats behind. I will say what I have to say and if someone don't like it?  Don't listen or read what I am saying.

Now you?  What kinda humor do you like and what kind of humor do those around you see as "your type" when you spin a yarn or two?

I like most humor. I find dry humor very funny. I'm not a big fan of slap stick. I loved Johnny, Merve,Joan Rivers, Totie Fields

Esteemed Contributor

@biancardi wrote:

seriously?  Political correctness is ruining humor?  Come on - surely we are better off without the slurs and derogatory terms, aren't we?

Yes, we have to be better than that.  I've never appreciated 'blue' humor.  Ethnic and religious jokes are the worse. UGH!!

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Respected Contributor

I like silly humor like monty python. 

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Respected Contributor

@biancardi wrote:

I like silly humor like monty python. 

John Cleese and Eric Idle are going to be touring the US in Oct. Doesn't look like they're coming to the West Coast though. Boo.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Esteemed Contributor

I don't know if people are losing their senses of humor or not.  Perhaps. I do know that things one group thinks is funny are sometimes very insensitive to the other group. It's always funny when it's not happening to or about you...isn't that the saying? I like clever, witty humor, and especially satire. Some comedians DO step over the line as do everyday people trying to be clever. There IS the sly practice of the personal insult delivered with a ha ha, just kidding, when you know they aren't.  I guess we all have to be ever mindful of other people's feelings and not just our own when we engage without thinking first. A long time ago there was a guy on TV named Red Skelton. He was a kind, gentle man whose humor was very sweet, yet funny. Check out some of his old shows online. 

Honored Contributor

College students are the future leaders.  My generation reflects older attitudes and opinions.  Entertainers and advertisers will strive to appeal to the younger generation and their disposable income. 

Respected Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

I don't know if people are losing their senses of humor or not.  Perhaps. I do know that things one group thinks is funny are sometimes very insensitive to the other group. It's always funny when it's not happening to or about you...isn't that the saying? I like clever, witty humor, and especially satire. Some comedians DO step over the line as do everyday people trying to be clever. There IS the sly practice of the personal insult delivered with a ha ha, just kidding, when you know they aren't.  I guess we all have to be ever mindful of other people's feelings and not just our own when we engage without thinking first. A long time ago there was a guy on TV named Red Skelton. He was a kind, gentle man whose humor was very sweet, yet funny. Check out some of his old shows online. 

Well said!!

Honored Contributor

Jackie Gleason was funny, so was Cyd Caesar,Milton Berle, George Burns, Jack Benny. There was  raft of talent that belonged to an era ,when the humor was gentle, and clean

Honored Contributor

I'm going with the humor has changed crowd.  I never liked most of the humor when I was a kid.  Think back to all the mother-in-law jokes.  Jokes about women drivers, all the jokes about women, period.

Then there were the ethnic jokes.  They were everywhere.  Do people here really think that was OK? 

We had people complaining about humor then, too.  Doesn't evryone remember the seven dirty words that could not be said?  George Carlin made that famous.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices