Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are people losing their sense of humor?

Unfortunately, Yes!..Extreme sensitivity and political correctness have taken over!

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Respected Contributor

according to Jerry Seinfeld he won't do college campuses anymore because of raging PC.  

Valued Contributor

It's sad, but I mourn the lost art of the double entendre.  Today's say anything and just bleep it leads to totally miserable viewing.  Things were much funnier when writers had to dance around a subject.  I'm always amazed when I see an old rerun of a series I loved when I was a little girl, and although I found it hilarious at the time, I now know I wasn't getting the real jokes at all. 

Forget sarcasm and dry wit.  They sail completely over people's heads.  I think part of it might be that people are so busy on social media talking about what they are watching that they aren't really paying enough attention to "get it."

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Esteemed Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

I think the public in general has lost its sense of humor.  It seems that people are searching for things that they'll find offensive so they can complain about it.  We've becomme a nation of cry babies.

Yes, a nation of "victims" and perpetually offended.....

Esteemed Contributor

@TXgal79 wrote:

Political correctness is running rampant these days. People get their feelings hurt too easily. The "you are all winners" generation is taking over, like giving trophies to every single kid that plays the sport kind of thing. 

*********************************************************************************************

Yes, this generation is extremely self-entitled. There was a time, when children were "seen and not heard". Some of us here were that generation. Well disciplined, we would never dream of "talking back", lest we have to go "pick a switch".

I think in our efforts to be kinder, gentler parents and in our efforts to instill self esteem and a sense of worth in our children, we went too far the other way. We have a generation now that believes they are the center of the universe and all things revolve around them

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Trusted Contributor

@TXgal79 wrote:

Political correctness is running rampant these days. People get their feelings hurt too easily. The "you are all winners" generation is taking over, like giving trophies to every single kid that plays the sport kind of thing. 

Well said -- and I couldn't agree more!  I'm more than sick of the political correctness and the "offended at every little thing" thing.  Geez.

Respected Contributor

I don't think people are losing their sense of humor but tastes change. I never found Jerry Seinfeld funny and preferred Robin Williams. I preferred David Letterman to Johnny. It's all a matter of taste. There are some very funny comedians out now that appeal to a younger demographic. JS needs to give up his 20-30 year old shtick if he wants to appeal to a younger crowd. I didn't find the same things funny as my parents or grandparents did and we cannot expect that of our kids or grandkids. JS's comedy was always whiney and so his complaints fit right in with his routine.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

One can still find no holds barred type of humor by going to a Kathy Griffin Show and a Wendy Williams Show as welll...not talking about her talk show.   I"m not so sure the college campuses would find either very funny similar to Seinfeild's brand.  

I personally enjoy watching The Millers and Blackish to name a couple currently on TV.  I'm sure there are many more.  

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Some of the top comedians say we are. I see it sometimes, I think. I miss Johnny, he seemed to get away with everything, and people still liked him

They( comedians) say the college crowd are the worse and refuse to play to them. Life is bad if you can't laugh

Hi cherry,

I think like the comedians I heard speak about this and that is the PC is getting larger by the minute. You got thousands that appreciate some jokes and 1 that doesn't?  Of course you shouldn't be able to offend that 1 person, and the heck with the other thousands that like to laugh.

Now I have always had a sense of humor, but it is not apparent to many because of my normal(?) way of life. Kinda dry humor I guess would best describe it, but it is all I got. Never been one to be able to repeat a joke well, always seem to mess up the punch line before I get there.

People need to take a chill pill or something. Liked the old days when you could pretty much say things and people weren't concerned about being offended. Now I doubt there is a word or phrase in the English language that won't offend someone.

Me? I don't give a rats behind. I will say what I have to say and if someone don't like it?  Don't listen or read what I am saying.

Now you?  What kinda humor do you like and what kind of humor do those around you see as "your type" when you spin a yarn or two?

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Saw a biography about Jack Paar.  Mentioned a time he was suspended from the Tonight Show for making a joke about the Pope/holy water.  I think people have always been sensitive about certain things, like their religion.