Honored Contributor

Are people losing their sense of humor?

Some of the top comedians say we are. I see it sometimes, I think. I miss Johnny, he seemed to get away with everything, and people still liked him

They( comedians) say the college crowd are the worse and refuse to play to them. Life is bad if you can't laugh

Contributor

Re: Are people losing their sense of humor?

Political correctness is running rampant these days. People get their feelings hurt too easily. The "you are all winners" generation is taking over, like giving trophies to every single kid that plays the sport kind of thing. 

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Cherry,

In some ways, I think it's a matter of taste.  I DO NOT watch any 'situation comedies' on television and once a Comedian starts a routine with %^$#, I turn it off. I also don't like what plays for comedy in movies. 

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Trusted Contributor

Careers were lost from saying the wrong thing.. Amazing!!
Honored Contributor

PC has ruined some peoples view of comedy and just plain vulgarity has ruined others.  It's all thrown out there now instead of letting people use their imagination and assumptions about what they might mean by things they say.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

I definitely think some people have no sense of humor, and I think political correctness has really put a damper on comedians' attempts at humor, and audiences' willingness to laugh.  People are too easily offended.  Some of the funniest things are not PC.

On the other hand, I generally don't find vulgar things to be funny.

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Some of the top comedians say we are. I see it sometimes, I think. I miss Johnny, he seemed to get away with everything, and people still liked him

They( comedians) say the college crowd are the worse and refuse to play to them. Life is bad if you can't laugh

-----------------------------------

I also miss Johnny; no one will ever match his timing and wit!  I don't think Johnny really did/say anything terrible that could be considered against the PC rules. The censors in those days were pretty tough!  But, he had this talent that with his looks, his words and his actions, there was always a double meaning. The interpretation was left to the viewer!!  I never watch the late night shows anymore, they just cannot beat Johnny.

Respected Contributor

The best comedy was written during rigid censorship. Vulgarity and profanity is not amusing in the least. These days you could not have a Bill Dana/Jose Jimenez or Buddy Hackett/chinese waiter routines. Going back in the old movies, we have Mae West and WC Fields.

Mae West showing WC Fields a very large diamond ring.

WC: "Oh my goodness."

Mae: "Goodness had nothing to do with it."

See what I mean?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]
I remember "The Honeymooners ", "I Love Lucy". Today's comedy shows can't hold a candle to them. They were funny! You can't joke or tease people anymore without them taking it personally. People are more unhappy these days. Too much pressure.
Respected Contributor

I think the public in general has lost its sense of humor.  It seems that people are searching for things that they'll find offensive so they can complain about it.  We've becomme a nation of cry babies.