Honored Contributor

Re: Are people drinking bleach? Are they eating toilet paper?

Sometimes there are people shopping for delivery service companies, such as Instacart, and those shoppers may appear to be hoarding but they are buying stuff for several of their customers at the same time. 

Regular Contributor

I was lucky to get groceries and hit Sams Club about a week before all this insanity started. I didnt over buy. Just got what I needed.  Couldn't afford to over buy for one thing.  We got plenty of toilet paper and I have gone down to 3 sheets which seems to work quite well. Did hit Walmart  Green yesterday because I was hoping they had eggs. I left the store feeling happy. There was a limit but they had plenty and picked up an 18 pack of eggs. My daughter is livng with us now and she eats a lot of eggs. I am set in case we cannot leave the house.

I ask my husband all the time how do these people pay for all this. He said credit cards. If I can't pay in cash I just don't need it but may have to use them eventually if the money runs out. 

Respected Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

Anyone know what's up with eggs?  Are they all being used to create vaccines?  I haven't seen eggs in our stores for maybe 10-12 days and I'm almost out.

I've been wondering the same thing.  My husband was able to get some when he went out last time, but most stores are out.  

Eggs are hit or miss too....go early....go everyday until they get a shipment in.  THat was the only way my husband got some early this week otherwise you won't see another egg for a month or more I bet.

Honored Contributor

I imagine after a coupl e of months with no income, these hoarders will run out of money to buy anything  at all, and the stores will have plenty. 

Honored Contributor

My trucker daughter has been on the road 5 days now.  

Weather has interfered in her getting to the locations on time, to unload the supplies she hauled out, which put her behind schedule getting to the locations to pick up whatever she’s hauling back.   If highway patrol shuts down the highway and orders truckers to park until the roads reopen, she has to comply.   

Right now she is loaded and will start driving back in the wee hours of the morning.   From her current location, it will take 3 days to drive that 78,000 lb truck back east, drop that trailer, hook an empty and get back on company property.   She has close to a 3 hour drive from there to here.   Within 48 hours she will be headed back to work.   

Shipments will really slow down if/when truckers are exposed to the virus.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi. noodleann,  I couldn't buy my Land of Lakes olive oil + butter for the last two weeks, but I did score 2 sticks of butter this week. There's still none of the softer butter in my market.

Couldn't find Hebrew National hot dogs (I prefer beef hotdogs) last week, either.  No cleaning products but I have plenty at home--turns out to be lucky that I don't deep-clean that often!

So. . .today at Publix the store was much better stocked!  I got my hotdog situation cleared up, fresh sourdough bread, and milk (unavailable last week).  People seem to be adjusting. 

I hope we all get through this fine.  It's difficult, though.  I am working from home and it doesn't come easy for me.  I ordered a microphone at Amazon--the only one available for quick delivery--and received it today, and I think it would fit the head of a three year old. (It's a headset with microphone at the mouth.  The mike is flexible but in its original configuration was around the top of my nose. Sigh. 

Nothing compared to what people are going through around the world.  Maybe this quarantining will work--I so hope it will!

But in my community, I did see evidence of a more rational kind of shopping.  I saw a beleagured looking young man with two little kids triumphantly hoisting a four-pack of toilet paper. 

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop Thank you for sharing that about your daughter.  I will keep her in my prayers.  We are so fortunate people like her are working to get supplies where they are needed.  

Honored Contributor

I've given up on toilet paper, so now I'm stalking personal wipes. Is that TMI?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan 

Thank you for your prayers for my daughter!

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop, a big thank you to your daughter. Our food supply depends greatly on the trucking industry and they're under a lot of pressure right now. Prayers for her safe travels. We'll all get through this tough time with some adjustments to our daily lives. I truly believe that we'll come out of this as a stronger nation and more appreciative of what we have.