Honored Contributor

Re: Are monthly car leasing payments even close to any ads you saw for them?

@Mindy D wrote:

@kaydee50 @Hello, Kaydee50. If you recently leased the Civic, would you mind sharing what the monthly leased payments were on it. 

My other question. Why would you not want a longer lease?

Third question. Did you car insurance payments increase when you leased?

THANK YOU🌹

We leased a Civic Ex in 2016.  We put no money down and as I recall the monthly payments were $300.  A 36 month lease was and I still think is the "standard."  Don't remember an option for a longer lease.  Leasing a car made no difference on our car insurance.  As I mentioned, at our age we really like having no responsbility for any car maintenance.

Esteemed Contributor

Financing can be very attractive right now, some models are 1-2%.  Just not a big selection around.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

According to the news, cars are limited right now and so I think you are going to pay a higher price.  Are you in the position to wait 6 months to a year or do you actually need a car now? 

I cannot imagine leasing a vehicle, only to give it back at the end of the lease.  I would purchase one if you are financially able to do so. 

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 @Thank you for the specifics. The information is very helpful.

Honored Contributor

I'm for leasing, only right now, not a huge inventory from what I've heard.

Leasing a new car every 36 months, as long as there is inventory.

Something about lack of automobile electronic 'chips' now-a-days, for whatever reason. 

I don't recall the exact reason, mainly because, lately, there are all sorts of reasons and excuses regarding just about everything. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@kaydee50  I don't keep my vehicles 10 years! Usually three or four years before I'm ready for a new model.

And I don't mind paying the dealership for the oil changes. That's minor and seems to be all I need after the warranty has run its course.  BTW: I do take advantage of the free maintenance on the warranty since I've paid for them when purchasing a new vehicle! So it really leaves me with just a few oil changes before I trade it in and buy again.

With such an excellent maintained car which is only touched by the dealership, it usually is sold to one of the employees at the dealership! I've been doing this since I bought my first set of new wheels at age 17. Haven't lost any money yet. I now 73.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@WenGirl42 wrote:

Like with anything, just make sure you understand the fine print. You may need to pause the TV when it all appears in tiny and dim font onscreen, but it will be there Smiley Wink

But you can absolutely get the advertised price on a lease.  Typically it's going to require some money down (sometimes substantial), and they're usually giving you the price for an ultra-low mileage allowance.  Reducing how much you put down or increasing your mileage allowance will raise the monthly payment.

If you look at the ad it tells you the amount of down payment you have to put down to get that monthly payment.

Honored Contributor

I agree with the posters who say buying is better.  Leasing is renting.  Unless you are able to write off the car as a business expense it makes no sense financially.  The last car I bought I paid cash for and they really tried to get me to lease instead or to finance the car with the agency.  That is where they make their money.  

Contributor

Hi, I leased a 2019 Honda Fit in January 2020. It had 12miles and my first new car. I paid nothing down and my monthly payment is $200. I just went to the Honda car dealership. I will purchase when my lease is up, I don’t want a different car. I am retired and this works for me perfectly. Not much of a driver, I have had the car almost two years and only have a little over 6,000 miles. I hope this is somewhat helpful. Stay safe everyone.😷😷
Esteemed Contributor

My husband leased his car three years ago and was very sorry; his first time.  In our area, there is a shortage of cars, due to the chip shortage.  He went to turn in his car & there were none available so they suggested extending the current lease and the leasing prices have sky rocketed so he decided to buy his leased car which is three years old but he took good care of it.  It's best to look around, read the fine print and bring an experienced negotiator with you.   You can negotiate better terms and my friend leases all his cars and when he comes in, they automatically call the manager to negotiate with him.  He gets really good deals and options.  

Some people lease and love it and my husband hated it.  It's also very different in certain areas of the country.