Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are home warranties worth it?

[ Edited ]

I have read every response because I was interested in everyone's experiences with Home Warranty companies. First of all I have AHS, and I have had this company for years. I have what is called the combo plan which covers just about everything in my home.

I have had mixed results, but overall I am pleased. I pay close to $500 dollars a year and I have a $125.00 deductible. 

In my home I have had the following items repaired, that I can think of.

Garbage Disposal

Refrigerator

Furnace

Washing Machine

Plumbing

AC (a handful of times) However, I am thinking of replacing the whole unit. I do not want a substandard unit installed,  and I am sort of over worrying about it whenever it get's hot. Like now We are experiencing a heat wave. It's also an older unit (about 23 years old) , so it's using more energy then the more efficient models.  

Water Heater Repaired more than once. Eventually I had to have it replaced with the use of my actual home insurance.  I did not notice it leaking in the garage, and by the time I noticed it had spread mold into the garage wall. Used AHS and USAA. 

Positives: I like being able to put in my claim online and having a contractor assigned quickly. I don't have to check out reviews, try to figure out if I am going to be swindled or not.

Negatives: Like others have mentioned it is generally a two to three day wait, once the contractor has been assigned. I live in Southern California, When it's your AC unit, it's brutal to wait that long for a repair. Last year I had to wait over a week because of course my unit broke down  when you need it the most (summer) all the contractors were booked up.

I was not a happy camper. 

Super Contributor

Re: Are home warranties worth it?

@icezeus wrote:

When it's your AC unit, it's brutal to wait that long for a repair. Last year I had to wait over a week because of course my unit broke down  when you need it the most (summer) all the contractors were booked up.

I was not a happy camper. 

One our heatpumps went out this winter and needed a new part. The part took weeks to arrive and weeks to install. The tech said there was a shortage of parts and some they cannot get at all. If your unit is 23 yrs old and should you decide to replace it the savings in electrical use alone should cover the costs over time.