Honored Contributor

Re: Are home warranties worth it?

I'm guessing it depends on the warranty.

A relative of mine bought a house and it came with a home warranty.  It is a nightmare to deal with.  He's had a few major things go wrong from a burst pipe to his furnace and a/c going out.  Both took forever to repair because he has to contact the warranty company and they send out an approved contractor.  Every single repair has to be approved which takes time. A lot of time. 

His a/c recently broke and cannot be repaired.  He decided to replace it at his expense with a company he chose.       

Valued Contributor

So, let me tell you about my experience with my home warranty this week. My A.C. quit cooling last Thursday. I called to report a claim. They said it could take up to 24 hours for a response. Friday I get a text from a local AC repairman letting me know that They had been contacted to schedule an appt. with me. I was given 3 choices as to when I would like for them to come. Monday between 8 am - 12 pm, Monday between 12 pm - 4 pm, or Tues 8am - 12 pm. Well, duh, I'm going to want the earliest availble! So, today the repairman comes and says it is leaking coolant and needs a new coil. They can't fix it until they call my home warranty to see if it is covered. I pay them their $60.00 service fee. I am told that the person they spoke with at Select Home Warranty asked how much it would cost to repair and when they said $3600.00, they were told to call me and tell me I would need to call them to check on status of the claim. She also said they told her that they don't cover coolant leaks. That is one of the main reasons people need service! So,  I called the home warranty and I am told it is a decision their management team will make in the next 24-48 hours. I am beyond mad! I am in Texas and temps are in the high 90's with high humidity. 

I will NOT be renewing my home warranty contract!

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Super Contributor

Home warranty company almost killed my entire family. Our heat pump unit on the roof went out. Air conditioning is electric but heating is gas. It was winter and the heat went out. Called the warranty company and they sent out a repair company to fix it. I don't know what they did up there on the roof but they told me the heat was working and then they left (in a very big hurry and laughing).  Later that night I needed to use the bathroom and walked under the ceiling air intake vent and smelled gas. Woke up husband and kids and opened windows, doors, garage door, etc. Called out the gas company and they turned off the gas and "red tagged" it. By law it could not be turned on again and had to be replaced.

I didn't have a weak bladder my entire family would be dead. This is what the gas company told us. The run-around the warranty company gave us was stuff of nightmares.

When the warranty company finally approved a replacement they called a second company to replace unit.  They installed one undersized for the square footage interior space. Couldn't understand why the house wouldn't either warm up in winter or cool down in summer. Had to replace it a second time and pay for it ourselves.

I would never recommend a home warranty company to anyone for any reason. This warranty came with the house when we purchased it. Then the warranty company had the nerve to call us to renew the policy. I gave them an earful.

Respected Contributor

I think it just depends on your warranty company and the contractors.  Like I said, I really like ours (Fidelity) and will continue to use them as long as we are in this house.

In an emergency, I can always hire someone and pay for it myself and get reimbursed.

I am very pro home warranty.

Esteemed Contributor

I can unequivocally say no.   Most of them use the worst companies such as plu,bets, electricians etc.   I kept a home warranty for the first. 3 years and then when I needed a repair person to fix my washing machine that leaked and flooded they sent a guy who was so dirty looking - he could not speak any English.  He spent lots of time trying to fix the issue then used on a piece of plastic.   Needless to say it flooded again and the second guy just brought another part without diagnosing the problem.  Needless to say he hadn't left but 1/2 hour and it leaked and flooded again.  I did some research and it turned out there were so many complaints about the repair company and the warranty company.  By the way the home warranty company was American Home Shield.   They all passed the buck.   Do your research but I would say absolutely no they are not worth it.

Valued Contributor

@Sapphiregal wrote:

So, let me tell you about my experience with my home warranty this week. My A.C. quit cooling last Thursday. I called to report a claim. They said it could take up to 24 hours for a response. Friday I get a text from a local AC repairman letting me know that They had been contacted to schedule an appt. with me. I was given 3 choices as to when I would like for them to come. Monday between 8 am - 12 pm, Monday between 12 pm - 4 pm, or Tues 8am - 12 pm. Well, duh, I'm going to want the earliest availble! So, today the repairman comes and says it is leaking coolant and needs a new coil. They can't fix it until they call my home warranty to see if it is covered. I pay them their $60.00 service fee. I am told that the person they spoke with at Select Home Warranty asked how much it would cost to repair and when they said $3600.00, they were told to call me and tell me I would need to call them to check on status of the claim. She also said they told her that they don't cover coolant leaks. That is one of the main reasons people need service! So,  I called the home warranty and I am told it is a decision their management team will make in the next 24-48 hours. I am beyond mad! I am in Texas and temps are in the high 90's with high humidity. 

I will NOT be renewing my home warranty contract!

UPDATE:

Select Home Warranty denied the claim. Said they don't cover "leaks", even though the reason there is a leak is because a coil needs to be replaced. 

Then, later the same day, I get a call from home warranty letting me know that my contract would be expiring in July and would I like to go ahead and renew it to get a "special discount". My reply to them was "when He%% freezes over" !!!!!

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Respected Contributor

I consider myself fortunate that I have had nothing but good success with our warranty.  Maybe it's the company, maybe it's where I live, and it helps that now I call our preferred plumber directly.   Nothing but positive experiences for me.  Whew!

Might not be much of an issue if your home is newer.

Esteemed Contributor

I think that they're terrible. When I need service I'll call my trusted repairman for that service.I've saved a fortune doing that.

The guy that installed my HVAC system 2 years ago comes over twice a year to check on it for free. My appliances are 12 years old. Never needed repair.My neighbor pays over $600 a year for appliance warranties & $300 a year for her HVAC warranty.

JMO but warranties only benefit the seller not the consumer.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sapphiregal :  This exact thing happened with my GF in phoenix, mid summer.  I told her to get a supervisor and tell them she'd contact a local t.v. Consumer Advocate if they didn't fix her problem.  They were at her place wn 2 days and replaced entire unit.

Esteemed Contributor

We had warranties in two different cities over 20 years and were very happy.  Then we moved to our rural resort community and warranty was worthless (10-14 day turn around).  We no longer have a warranty.