Honored Contributor

Re: Are home warranties worth it?

So sorry the OP is dealing with this.  We had one the first year in one house and did use it because appliances were old and we were too busy and broke to replace them just because.  It came with the house. 

IF you are happy with low end appliances it's not bad but if you are used to higher end ones, the one we had really paid basically nothing for replacement. 

But we did get a few repairs out of it and it was ok.  Free. 

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

No, they are a rip off. I made one call in the year that I had a home warranty and they refused to pay for it. My refrigerator needed a replacement part which is something they should cover. I ended up paying $250.00 for a local repairman to fix it. 

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have said it many times on these boards - YES!

Our home was built in the 70s and we have copper pipes - and we have a well.  I have lost track how many times the plumbers have been to the house (recently last Monday).  The warranty has saved us thousands of dollars. We pay a $75 service call and they pick up the rest.  We've had our washer/dryer serviced, our dishwasher and of course the plumbing.  It also covers for someone to come back and repair the drywall if it's cut into.  You can choose which items you wish to have covered.

If they can't repair it after the 3rd try, they replace it.  Our large, expensive hot water tank was replaced immediately (same day) because they knew it could not be fixed.

The contractor that replies first gets the job (not the cheapest contractor).  For us, we are on such good terms with a local plumber since they have been here so often, and one of their workers lives close by.  So I request them every time and I usually get them.  I have called them directly if another contractor was assigned (but not yet confirmed) to see if they are available and I usually can get them.

Honored Contributor

Our home came with a home warranty provided by the seller and it's been invaluable-enough that we extended the policy. 

Honored Contributor

My daughter has one and she says there is a $100 deductible each time a repair person has to come out, I say no thanks !!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No way. We made the big mistake of getting AHS when we bought our house. We discovered when our a/c died a month after we moved in that AHS “replaces” appliances, but with the cheapest, most basic model and brand available. It was nowhere close to the size we had and needed but they would not budge, even when I offered to pay the difference for the right sized unit. Same thing happened to my sister with her cooktop. She went from a GE monogram to a brand she had never heard of.....but it was white and had the same # of burners so they said they had met their contract and that would be all they would do. Ripoffs. The OP may want to use the NextDoor app to ask for recommendations for repairmen, etc that neighbors have actually used and liked. This have been more helpful for me. 

Honored Contributor

If you have glowing reports for a home warranty company I think we would love to know the name of the company . Sounds there are not very many out there and maybe you have found a gem.
Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

To me, they're not really worth it. Appliances break. There's always a sale going on, and it's easier to just replace.

If I was going to have anything covered, it would be HVAC, but really, how often do they break down to the point of needing to be replaced?

Not very.

Save your money.

I don't know of any that would cover the cost of replacement anyway. They pay for repairs up to a certain amount. We have American Home Shield because my DH wants it. Last summer thay paid a $600 repair for our AC. And the year before a new washer. Personally I wouldn't buy it but so far they have given us no problems.

Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
If you have glowing reports for a home warranty company I think we would love to know the name of the company . Sounds there are not very many out there and maybe you have found a gem.

@lovesrecess We've had Fidelity Home Warranty for over 20 years.  If an appliance is too expensive to repair or parts aren't available, they offer either a replacement with a comparable appliance or you can take a cash-out and buy your own appliance.  They pay out the current replacement value for the appliance.  

Over the years, we've gotten replacements for our washer and dryer, refrigerator, dishwasher and most recently our double oven.   We usually just get the cash and then find the replacement ourselves since that seems to be the fastest way to do it.   

The downside is since we have the warranty, we always just keep our applicances until they can no longer be repaired rather than replacing them periodically with newer ones.

Honored Contributor

In my position, no they aren't worth it. My husband can fix about anything that is still worth fixing. And so many things today are made so they can't be fixed, or fixed only lasts so long and they are broke again, so for me, it is easier for hubby to fix what can be, and buy new when it can't. 

That said, some of our appliances are 35 years old and still going strong, and we believe the older stuff is going to outlast any of the newer stuff, so we keep fixing when and where we can, and forgo the new whenever possible.