Frequent Contributor

Are home warranties worth it?

I am recently widowed at age 64.  My husband did all the repairs for the house.  I am just wondering if I should get a home warranty?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are home warranties worth it?

To me, they're not really worth it. Appliances break. There's always a sale going on, and it's easier to just replace.

If I was going to have anything covered, it would be HVAC, but really, how often do they break down to the point of needing to be replaced?

Not very.

Save your money.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

Read what is covers and what it doesn't cover.  I read every word and was surprised by what was actually covered.  For example:  your garage door breaks.  The warranty will only cover certains parts and it's the other parts they aren't covered that usually break.  Same went for the pool equipment, etc.  Plus our home that we just bought had some higher end appliances such as a Subzero and Dacor double oven and stove top.  The warranty I read did not cover those.  You also have to use repairmen/companies that are on their list.  A home warranty for us would of cost almost $2000/year.  that was 5 years ago.

Trusted Contributor

@ I am sorry to hear about your husband. I also don't think they are worth it because if you just take and save what you would pay each month for a warranty you will have money set aside if you need to replace something.  If you never need to replace anything and get a home warranty, you will have wasted all that money.

Regular Contributor

My family has had mixed experience with home warranties.  None of us received "speedy" service.  My husband and I had warranty on a condo.  The a/c went down, and they insisted it could be fixed instead of replaced.  Well they continued putting band-aids on system which would last a few months then break again.  We ended up selling the condo for other reasons and gave new owners a warranty.

My daughter had two appliances that went bad shortly after purchasing her home.  Well she had to shell out the money for new appliances and be reimbursed.  It took a few days for them to come and attempt repair, then more days for new units ot arrive.  Not easy or convenient.

My son had a problem with his a/c, warranty company came and fixed and there were no further problems.

I would research companies and try to get recommendations before deciding.  Cost in our area is between $350 - 750 annually depending on type warranty.  

Esteemed Contributor

Not worth it. For starters the quality of service is questionable because the vendors under contract usually goes to the lowest bidder so most likely you don't get to choose the company you want to do business with. We had an example here that someone's air conditioning broke in the middle of summer. They called the home warranty company and they said it needed a part that would take weeks to get. You can't live without a/c in the hot Arizona summer. Seems the owners would not accept this and called a reputable a/c company who fixed it that day. 

Respected Contributor

@LuvmyLab had an excellent idea. Set money aside each month for potential repairs. When something goes awry you will have the money on hand. I am not impressed with home warranties and their response time. Having to use specific repair services is a huge drawback. My friend had all kinds of problems with her home warranty.

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry to read about the lost of your spouse.

I am a single woman with a Co'ndo.

Please ask around and hire a handy person. 

I have a  contract on the HVAC serviced by utility company. The same company repairs appliances. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@ssfbeagle wrote:

I am recently widowed at age 64.  My husband did all the repairs for the house.  I am just wondering if I should get a home warranty?

I wouldn't buy a Home Warranty -- I recommend that u go on nextdoor dot com (ur community site). If u need any work done - u just post the info - and usually one of ur neighbors will fix it - for a lot less money. If u have several small items to be repaired or replaced - u need a handyman type. I always keep a list of things I need fixed - when I'm ready to call a handyman-type from nextdoor or YELP --- they fix most (or all) of the items. A lot less costly.

Neighbors on nextdoor will also recommend people they've used - the best way to find someone. If it's a BIG job --- get many recommendations - and interview each one.

For smaller jobs, get at least 3 estimates on the phone - or in person - make sure they don't charge u to come over. They'll all give u different opinions and prices - and u could decide who u trust and who you're comfortable with. There are many scammy people out there -- so be cautious.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ssfbeagle, condolences on the loss of your husband.

We don't do such warranties after discovering that the devil is in the details, a.k.a, the fine print.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland