Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are children ever going back to school ?

[ Edited ]

@piperbay wrote:

Don't count on it in Chicago.

Sounds like they want the entire school to be rebuilt-  guess they'll be on the payroll for yrs if this floats .  Is anyone thinking of the children ?

Teachers  need to get a grip !  There is data as to how many teachers  nationally  who  are under the high risk age of  60 or 65  .

Just think , oh well if you fall ill , you sure will expect every member of the medical team to show up each day to care for you  as they have been  caring for many since the beginning of this pandemic , even when  PPE was scarce. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our schools have been open as usual since September, including band and orchestra practices and most sports. All teachers and staff will receive their Covid vaccines within the next week. Remember, kids under 16 (IIRC) cannot receive the shots.

Safety in the classrooms, lunchrooms, and in school protects our students and provides them with structure, education and a well-balanced meal, which many of them do not receive at home. Keep those schools open for our future leaders! 

ETA: My DIL teaches SpEd and has had NO problems with her students. They need the structure and daily help  desperately. Most also are from homes that need the free or reduced meal programs. (Many more students have qualified for those programs in 2020.) Our school district has policies for keeping the classrooms spotless and sanitary.

My grandson is in Middle School and plays in three bands (two through school). He has not had any health problems and remains in excelled classes. We're grateful for our City for keeping all students in school where they belong!  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

For those commenting about strikes and unions - are you in Chicago or someplace else? Mayor was just on saying she lost all patience with CTU. One of their demands is for all teachers to get the vaccine before everyone else that is currently eligible (they are currently eligible; they just don’t want to wait and want it before other eligible elderly and essential workers.) Like others said, catholic schools have been in session and I haven’t heard of any issues. I don’t have kids but feel sorry for them. They were just on strike a year or so ago - maybe the year before Covid? Sad for the kids.
Super Contributor

It depends on the areas.  More rural areas don't have as many cases, so a lot of the school districts are open with the option to parents whether they want virtual or in-school learning.  Cities have many more cases and this is why many of city schools are still virtual, because they are waiting for the numbers to decrease.

Schools send surveys out to parents and teachers and make their decision based upon those results as well as the virus cases in their area, not just what the teachers want.

It's easy to put the blame on solely on teachers, but it is not their decision alone to go back or not.  Teachers put in just as much, or more time with the virtual learning, as they do with being in school physically.

Respected Contributor

I am so sad for the students.  No classes, no activities and no sports.  Check out the carjackings by juveniles in Chicago......😢😢😢

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

The union is not allowing it in our district.  The plan was to go back in January so when it was announced nope, there was a mad rush of parents looking for private schools.

Trusted Contributor

I work in a small Catholic school on NJ. We have small classes. We have been in school 5 days a week since Sept.
~Jersey Girls don't pump gas~
Super Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

I don't know the answer to that question, but I sure hope so. Many children are so far behind that I don't realistically see them catching up. This is much more serious than most people realize. Can't even imagine if nurses and grocery store workers refused to go to work. 

My grandson has just recently returned to the classroom 2 days a week.  The other days he is remote "learning".  I put that in parenthesis because I'm not convinced he's learning anything from home.  My daughter says there's too many distractions, he has a short attention span to begin with, and some days he's at his father's house (my daugher is divorced) where any schooling is iffy at best.  My thought is, if the schools open full time, it wouldn't hurt for my grandson to take the whole year over again.  He needs the structure of a classroom and a teacher who is physically, not virtually, there.  I'm just wondering what the long term effects are from what they missed learning this year?

Man plans. God laughs.
Respected Contributor

The school district where we live has been open and closed depending on the health metrics - just recently they reopened after having been closed since Thanksgiving.  Presently, it is just the lower grades, with the higher grades scheduled to resume in two weeks.  The Catholic school my granddaughter attends, in the same city, has been open since August.

Respected Contributor

@Glitter51 wrote:

My  daughter currently goes to school 4 days a week and 1 day virtual learning, I think it all depends on the school district.

Same with us. For awhile they were home, but they went back after Christmas break.