Honored Contributor

Re: Are children ever going back to school ?

I think parents need to receive training on how to supervise online learning. It's the new normal for a while longer, so the parents need to learn how to do it effectively since there isn't another choice for some. Wishful thinking doesn't actually help when the reality is what it is.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

I think parents need to receive training on how to supervise online learning. It's the new normal for a while longer, so the parents need to learn how to do it effectively since there isn't another choice for some. Wishful thinking doesn't actually help when the reality is what it is.

And how do you suggest they find the time to do that?

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

And how do you suggest they find the time to do that?

Probably the same way they find time to do anything of value for the sake of their children's wellbeing.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Yes, they're on an abbreviated schedule while so many have yet to have their shots, but next school year will look more traditionally normal.

I think we'll get "better" day by day, just as we got into this mess.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RetRN wrote:

@Pook, how is he doing socially, educationally, and emotionally? Those are extremely important things in the development of children. Just more reasons for children to be in school. 

@RetRN   Life is not always a positive experience.  This a pandemic with more people than necessary having died!!  Those that went through the depression and had to quit school to help support their families had it much worse but they did what was best for all!!   Children that are raised right will get that.  Like I stated before if everyone would have followed CDC guidelines and not refused to wear masks and stay out of crowds things more than likely would not have gotten  this bad!!!  We all should be more concerned about saving lives!! 

The daughters of the woman who does my hair would like to be in school but they understand the severity of this virus and do not want to bring it home to their mother and grandparents so they are ok that their mother choose virtual learning for now!  One has a learning disability and her mother and teachers have worked virtually together to help her and the other has kept up with her work.  

Honored Contributor

K-8 have been going in person all this school year. Parents have the final say; therefore some attend via computer. High schoolers are a mix and alternate, but the doors are essentially open every day.

Honored Contributor

I have no idea when schools are going to open in Philadelphia. The headlines today read:   "Philly teachers union says it's "not safe" to reopen schools."

There is concern about fans in the classrooms.

Respected Contributor

The kids need to get back to class.

“There’s just no reason not to have the schools open,” said former NYC mayor Michael Bloomberg on MSNBC.

“I think that what we are doing to poor kids is a disgrace. These poor kids are not in school. They will never recover from this,” continued Bloomberg.  “And they had a bad education experience anyways. We have not had good schools for poor kids. And this now is just so much worse.” 

Bloomberg called on the president to “stand up to the unions and teachers unions.”

“You know, the teachers say, well, I don’t want to go back because it’s dangerous. We have a lot of city and state and federal employees who run risks. That’s part of the job,” said the former New York mayor. 

“The virtual classes are a joke. It is worse than a joke. Poor people don’t have iPads, they don’t have Wi-Fi. They don’t have somebody at home to sit during the day and force the child to pay attention. And without that, the virtual learning just does not exist.

And the teachers unions you see in Chicago and in New York, we’ve had problems. It’s time for the president to stand up and say the kids are the most important things and important players here and the teachers just are going to have to suck it up and stand up and provide an education. Otherwise, these kids have no chance whatsoever.”

Esteemed Contributor

With so many schools fully open or at the very least working with some type of hybrid learning, there is no excuse schools could not be open.  They have proven it can be done safely.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

How are these kids ever going to catch up, go to college and lead productive lives?  These teachers who are refusing to go back to work because they love having an extended vacation and getting paid by their union need to be held accountable and many have already been vaccinated!  History will not look upon them favorably, kindly or with any respect whatsoever.  Too bad they all can't be fired and replaced by real educators who listen to the science and who care deeply for the kids.