Honored Contributor

Re: Are children ever going back to school ?

Many parents just do not want to have to supervise their kids virtual learning and they also continue to  socialize without masks.  They get Covid and. even though the kids don't have symptoms, they are spreaders so I get why the teachers are upset.  My thoughts are that many kids are spoiled and that is causing most of the issues!!  Many kids in my area have been raised to have compassion and common sense so they understand the seriousness of this virus and have adapted quite well.  Then there are some who whine and boo hoo that their school social lives have been taken away and it's not fair.  The teachers are not to blame for this!!!  If the school districts were doing all they can to protect them and the parents would also follow CDC guidelines schools would be back to near normal!!!  Families with children that I know have all chosen to stay virtual with their kids and they are doing great!!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pook let me respectfully disagree with what you said.  First off a lot parents are concerned with the "virtual" schooling.  Many have found it severely lacking.  And that is on the teachers.  They are not looking for their kids to be "supervised".  My daughter carefully watches my grandson's virtual "classes" and they are horrible.  Most kids are of the generation that if it's on a screen it's "entertainment" not learning.  Which is why in person schooling is better.  On top of which a lot of these kids don't exactly have ideal home situations.

Yes alot of these parents need to get back to work and need to have their kids actually back in school so they can do that.  It's not for "supervision" it's because the online classes are terrible.  These kids are not spoiled.  For a portion of them school was the only way they had to escape abuse, drugs, violence, hunger you name it.  But yeah go ahead and label them "spoiled" Good grief.  It has been proven virtual learning was a huge failure. 

The kids have NEVER been in the cross hairs of this virus period.  It really is not serious for them.  And anyone who is at high risk at this point I would hope knows to take precautions no matter what age group they are encountering.   It has always been the 65 and older and people with immue issues or underlying medical conditions.  They are not "spreaders"  Many schools have been fully open with few to ZERO issues.  Stores have been open with employees seeing thousands of a much more diverse, higher risk group of people than these teachers will ever experience.  They will see the same kids every day. 

Be advised kids have a harder time with enforced solitude and their coping abilities are less than that of an adult.  Your whole "boo hoo" "social issues" rant is insulting.  Isolation for kids is not easy, and judging by a whole lot of adult behavior going on, it's apparent alot of people have issues with it. 

Yes kids don't have symptoms neither do millions of adults and your point is??  How do you know they are positive if they don't have symptoms??  These kids aren't spoiled alot of them are abused and severely suffering at home.  School would have been one meal for them if they have parents out of work. 

Teachers are dealing with a segment of population at the VERY lowest risk catagory.  Why do they need more protection than the average store employee who deals with thousands of "spreaders" in the course of a week?  They claim they are essential and yet unlike the millions of other essential workers refuse to do their jobs.  Online is a failure.  A lot of which has to do with the teachers ability to teach online, NOT the parents and NOT the kids.  And I can GUARANTEE a good portion of these teachers have been out and about.  Going to stores and such.  I have seen more than a few in my county.   So they can go into the gerneral population but can't teach in a classrooom of  the lowest risk segment?   You also have a whole segment of kids with disabilities who have been totally failed during this.  But by all means group them as "spoiled".  The CDC says open it up.  And they need to period.  These schools have been given millions to do this and yet they refuse to spend them to do what he funds were given for.  

Honored Contributor

@eadu4, thank you for your excellent and insightful post! I couldn't disagree more with what the other poster said and I don't believe it for one second.

Contributor

The bottom line is children can be carriers and bring Covid home to parents and grandparents, and even teachers with underlying conditions.   In 1937 when polio struck, schools were closed.....this March, it is only one year out of your life, think of others before yourself.  

Honored Contributor

@Pook, how is he doing socially, educationally, and emotionally? Those are extremely important things in the development of children. Just more reasons for children to be in school. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hope that all children will soon be back at school in-person, no matter in which state they reside.  

It was terrible that any schools were shut down in the first place, with no exit plan at all.  What is the plan to reopen the schools that are currently all-virtual or partly virtual?  Open only when there are zero cases?  Open only when 100% of students and teachers have been injected with two doses of inoculations, plus a SARS-CoV-2 variant strain booster, even though the shots don't prevent infection or stop virus transmission?  If people could have just stayed home when sick and been payed by their employer for their sick time, so they wouldn't have to fear being fired for not showing up to work when sick, and if that were national policy, we would not have had to shut down a single business or school.  If parents could have just taken time off from work to care for their sick children, that, too, would have been enough to stop this pandemic. ETA: Children are not the spreaders of SARS-CoV-2, because they do not typically get as sick from the virus as adults as they have far fewer ACE-2 receptor cells in their bodies. Fewer ACE-2 receptors means less cells can be infected in children.  It is the teachers who will be the spreaders of SARS-CoV-2 in schools, not the children.

Sick people, and only sick people, should remain at home-- in a self-imposed quarantine.  What we have in many states is a quarantine of everyone, sick or not, under the presumption that everyone is uniformly sick until proven otherwise via testing.  We are told we should be living in fear 24/7, and avoid all socialization, which is traumatic for children and adults, especially as not even the strictest lockdowns have stopped the virus from circulating, nor "cases" from increasing. These unnecessary lockdowns have killed many small businesses that will never be coming back, and they have caused kids and adults to become suicidal. Death by suicide is somehow acceptable to society, but death from a virus is not?  

I heard on the news yesterday that some High School juniors are depressed and some are committing suicide, because they could not be scouted during HS games for scholarships at universities, and the financial impact of that is that their parents cannot afford to send them to college at full price. 

I think the OP's question is quite valid and extremely important. Are children ever going back to school?  In many states, that remains to be determined and to be seen. What, exactly, is the exit plan? Shouldn't there be one by now?

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@RetRN I have watched my daughter supervise her son and on occasion 2 of her friends children do their online classes.  Trust me the times I had to watch it was an eye opening experience.  It was severely lacking.  And don't get me started on the kids with learning disabilities who have been completely failed by this.  They just cannot do online learning period.  Teachers do better in a classroom environment as do the kids.  Isolation is crushing for kids.  If adults have trouble coping why wouldn't you think kids would have issues?  Yeah, when I read that post I had to put some facts out there.  I've seen teachers out and about throughout this.  They aren't sitting at home behind their doors.  If they can go into stores, they sure as heck can go into a classroom.  And these school districts have been given millions of dollars to figure it out.  And yet, they, the "educators" can't find a way.  Good grief. 

Trusted Contributor

@MercyMe7 Actually everyone is a potential carrier.  And the younger you are the less at risk you are.  These kids are at higher risk of suicide, hunger, abuse, gang violence, mental health issues than they ever would be going back to school.  These parents I can guarantee have been out and about at some point.  Again they don't fall into the 'high risk" catagory of 65 and older and unless they have severe or underlying medical conditions are at a low risk of getting it as well.  If these families have an elderly person at home than they can address this concern with the school board, but keeping all kids out of school because a few have elderly people living with them is wrong.  And WE ARE thinking of others by doing this.  We are thinking of the kids, the biggest and hardest hit in this whole mess.  We are not selfish.  If you are in a high risk catagory you should know by now what precautions to use, and what you can and cant do by now.  And polio affected the kids, with Covid they are at a an almost zero if not for most zero risk of getting it.  (my sister-in-law got polio as a child and has always had a limp).  

Respected Contributor

@Pook wrote:

Many parents just do not want to have to supervise their kids virtual learning and they also continue to  socialize without masks.  They get Covid and. even though the kids don't have symptoms, they are spreaders so I get why the teachers are upset.  My thoughts are that many kids are spoiled and that is causing most of the issues!!  Many kids in my area have been raised to have compassion and common sense so they understand the seriousness of this virus and have adapted quite well.  Then there are some who whine and boo hoo that their school social lives have been taken away and it's not fair.  The teachers are not to blame for this!!!  If the school districts were doing all they can to protect them and the parents would also follow CDC guidelines schools would be back to near normal!!!  Families with children that I know have all chosen to stay virtual with their kids and they are doing great!!

@Pook I believe you're right...some parents don't want to deal with having to do virtual.  It's not easy, especially for those who've never been involved in that kind of thing. So, whether it's for the reason that they just don't want to have to or if they don't feel they're good at doing it, or if they are exhausted when they get home from work, whatever the reason, it makes sense to conclude some parents would rather not do it.  It also makes sense that it's easier for many parents to send their kids to school so they can go to work.  Some, too, would like that time to do other things.  That doesn't mean ALL.  But again, I'm sure some parents want a little time to do their own stuff. When I was a SAHM I must admit to enjoying the break that I got when my older son got on the bus. Smiley Wink  

Following CDC guidelines is much less likely to spread this virus based on the info of how it spreads.  I wish students could all go back as they are better off learning in school with a qualified professional. If the vaccines were more widely available earlier, that would've helped but at least now availability seems to be opening up, at least in my area.  I know teachers have been getting their first shots as of 2 weeks ago here.

Honored Contributor

@eadu4   That is not a reason to send kids to school and possibly spread Covid!  People's lives are worth more than that!!!  Interesting to  note that  many parents are  choosing virtual learning in many schools until the Covid numbers go down.  If this virus would have been dealt with and mask wearing was not politicized we would not have been in this situation and schools would have been opened up a long time ago.

Teachers need protection from kids whose parents do not follow guidelines and get infected and the kids pass it on to the teachers even if they do not get sick!!!  Kids can spread Covid.  

The teachers I know wear masks and only go to get essentials including items for their classes that are not provided!!

Teachers cannot prevent abuse at home and more than likely they have reported most instances with nothing being done!!  

The ones I know and see are kept home with virtual learning until the numbers go down and thier parents explain it to them!!!