Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are children ever going back to school ?

Our Town is in the process of taking a survey as to whether parents want their children to  return to in class teaching beginning around mid March.

Respected Contributor

In SE Michigan most school districts are open...you can choose on line or in person. My grands are in different public school systems, 2 go 5 days a week, one 2 days a week...in person.

I have heard though that some districts are still totally on line in Michigan.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I don't have kids so I don't know who is or who isn't back in school in our area but I wish the would make a decision. Do what Regan did to the air traffic controllers back in the day. Fire them all and make them reapply for their job because this is getting out of control. I am frankly tired of all these teachers and their whining. If I didn't show up to my job for a year my employer would fire my butt.

@Meowingkitty .. . I agree.  The teachers are the ones who don't want to return to school.  There is no reason for keeping the kids home.  In our Town, in September, there was ONE teacher in each of the two grammar schools who got Covid so they closed ALL the schools... two grammar schools, the middle school and the high school! 

Honored Contributor

How about telling teachers - okay, if you want to keep your job and benefits you will need to show up every day to virtually teach from your empty classroom if don't want to go back until every kid has been vaccinated.  What will the excuse be then?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know the answer to that question, but I sure hope so. Many children are so far behind that I don't realistically see them catching up. This is much more serious than most people realize. Can't even imagine if nurses and grocery store workers refused to go to work. 

Honored Contributor

In our city, they are planning on going back March 1st. They have been out of the classroom for almost a  year at that point..... My grandson and granddaughter, who live in a different part of the state, have been in school all of this school year so far..Last year they were out from March thru the rest of the year....

Trusted Contributor

It's the unions keeping alot of the teachers from going back.  They now are trying to stipulate that the kids get vacinated.  HELLOOO there is NO vaccine for the kids because they don't need it.  They are are the bottom lowest risk of all of a virus that is and always was 99% survivable to those in the lower risk catagories.  If you are immune suppressed/or higher risk then get excused by your doctor.  Otherwise, there have been employees everywhere that have been out and about through this whole thing.  They litererlly see hundreds (for stores thousands) of different people a week with very very little issues, these teachers would be seeing the same people unlike those employees.  This is a travesty.  There have been more deaths from suicide, alcohol, drug, violence, abuse, hunger, you name it than ever before with these kids than ever would have been felt by covid.  If they lived with an elderly person then they could get a waiver to do online schooling.  Otherwise, open this up.  A good portion of kids have lost a year of learning that they will never get back.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In my area schools are open several days then back to all virtual classes due to covid cases.  When open there is a choice to go or continue virtual which is more popular.   Many parents are choosing virtual learning and do not want their kids to go back yet.  Kids are showing positive but no symptoms because many parents have it so everyone in contact with them has to quarantine and so there are often not enough teachers left who do not have to quarantine.   These teachers are working from home putting in more hours than whenin school!  The most any school in my area has remained open steady is maybe a week or two.  Schools do not often have the funds available to provide adequate cleaning and safeguards and many have poor ventilation systems.

Honored Contributor

Private school enrollment is increasing for those that can afford it.

Respected Contributor

My grands go to private school and have been in class since mid August, 2020.  The school has rules and guidelines and they have worked very well.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward