Respected Contributor

Re: Are Your Views Influenced by Poll Numbers?

The only ones who seemed influenced by the polls are the candidates.....not me.

Respected Contributor

Even the polls can be analyzed by the spinners to slant a certain way! So not at all!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Trusted Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

My views aren't influenced by poll numbers.

I used to prepare statistical analyses for a major medical center, and learned how many variables there are.  (I had the quote, attributed to many sources, in my office:  "There are three kinds of lies: lies, dam-ed lies, and statistics."  That says it all.Smiley)

Polls can sway to and fro depending upon what the questions are, how they're phrased, etc.  So, unfortunately, I'm too skeptical.

I agree wholeheartedly.  I read an article that says that the "polls" are now being used to influence people instead of reflecting the feelings of the people polled.

Respected Contributor

Poll numbers do make me think twice sometimes, usually when I am in the minority.Woman LOL I re-examine my position in light of any new evidence that may change my mind and go from there. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honestly I have never been influenced by polls, and when the day comes that I am, I promise I will no longer vote!  

I've been told several times by "poll people" in the know that where you take the poll determines how it will come out - so a poll is really useless anyway.

Esteemed Contributor

No I am not. Oh so many other factors.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Influenced/swayed by polls? HECK NO!

Why-- who's winning?Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I am absolutely NOT influenced by Poll Numbers.  Nope.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DiAnne wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

I know what I've researched and I know what I want and don't want. My views are influenced by life experiences, my genetic makeup, and my parental upbringing.  I don't take a lot of stock in polls because I don't know how the respondents were selected or what their demographic is or for that matter what area of the country they live in. Sometimes I look to see who is endorsing someone as that can be very telling, but I know my own idealogy and philosophy. No one is going to change that.  By the way, in all my years as a voter, no one has ever polled me as to what candidate I am supporting. You'd think it would have happened at least once, but it hasn't.  THAT'S why I am skeptical.

I have been asked several times over the years - maybe that is because I do not belong to either political party.  

If it's a truly random poll, they shouldn't even know what party you do or do not belong to. 

Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I was recently polled by phone regarding my opinion on a local school district referendum.  Even if my answers to the questions concur with a minority of the respondents, I don't think my opinion will change on this issue.  Do you have an opinion about the influence of polling results?

I would have to agree with you dotter:  a poll result doesn't influence me at all.  In fact, it seems that often the majority aren't right.