Respected Contributor

I just read an article about people who are mosquito magnets. It said that it is basically a genetic thing...mosquitos are attracted to perspiration, your breath (carbon dioxide), people with type O blood, and lactic acid that seeps out of your skin after exercise. People with type A blood received the fewest mosquito bites.

I guess I'm lucky, as I've never been a mosquito magnet. Now I know why...I have type A blood. I've never had a bee sting either.

I've heard that Johnson & Johnson clear baby lotion is a great mosquito repellant for people who are mosquito magnets.

Are you a mosquito magnet?

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

Re: Are You a Mosquito Magnet?

I am a mosquito magnet and the only thing that keeps them away is DEET. I use deep woods off and be careful to shower it off before I go to bed. We are campers so I do use it quite often.

Honored Contributor

A big YES! I am type O, not sure about the lactic acid thing and me, but skeeters, bees, wasps and any other stingin' creature love me to death! I nearly died after a trip to Texas and was swarmed by an army of fire ants! Ended up in the ER with epi shots...yikes!Smiley Surprised

Honored Contributor

All I'm going to say is that supposed research doesn't apply to me or my husband. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

I used to be when I was younger.  I eat a lot more garlic now, so maybe that's why?  Maybe that's why I sometimes repel people too.

I found out (I think from these boards a few years ago) that Avon's "Skin so Soft" moisturizer is excellent for repelling mosquitos.  I have a couple of tubes at the ready.

Honored Contributor

A big YES! I am type O, not sure about the lactic acid thing and me, but skeeters, bees, wasps and any other stingin' creature love me to death! I nearly died after a trip to Texas and was swarmed by an army of fire ants! Ended up in the ER with epi shots...yikes!Smiley Surprised

Oh and I forgot about the time I slept all through the night  while camping under the lovely stars...only to awaken the next morning with a scorpion in my sleeping bagSmiley Surprised!...ohhh yikes!Smiley Surprised

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I am a mosquito magnet and the only thing that keeps them away is DEET. I use deep woods off and be careful to shower it off before I go to bed. We are campers so I do use it quite often.

@151949, my sisters were recently visiting here, and they were comparing the different products as we have an outbreak of mosquitos. DEET is what they usually use, but there is something with 20% Picardin that is supposed to be equally good...and a natural product with lemon eucalyptus that supposedly works well. They ended up buying that Johnson & Johnson product that seems to be trending right now.

Incidentally, I find your user name fascinating...very similar to what my birthdate and year would be.

Enjoy your camping!. I used to love it when I was younger. My family didn't camp, but I would go with my friend's family. Lots of fond memories sitting around the campfire. Smiley Happy

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Oh and I forgot about the time I slept all through the night  while camping under the lovely stars...only to awaken the next morning with a scorpion in my sleeping bagSmiley Surprised!...ohhh yikes!Smiley Surprised

Woman Surprised That would have been the end of camping for me! I am scared to death of spiders...and I did once get bitten by one.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No I'm not. Have not idea what blood type I am. DH on the other hand is a mosquito magnet. He is a rare type B. They always want his blood & platelets or plasma or something. Last night he was sitting outside & got bit all over. He asks me didn't you get bit. LOL!!! NO!!! I figure they can't get blood out of me for a blood test so the mosquito's figure why bother with her. 

Respected Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

I used to be when I was younger.  I eat a lot more garlic now, so maybe that's why?  Maybe that's why I sometimes repel people too.

I found out (I think from these boards a few years ago) that Avon's "Skin so Soft" moisturizer is excellent for repelling mosquitos.  I have a couple of tubes at the ready.

Smiley LOL So funny! I'm a garlic lover too...never thought about that as maybe why I repel mosquitos!!