Respected Contributor

Re: Are You a Creature Of Habit?

Many of our habits/routines are good as it makes our lives more comfortable. One that we do is to sit in the same place in church on Sunday. Most others do the same. Sometimes a visitor will sit where we normally sit. It throws us off a bit, but we also are able to adjust to change. Of course keeping items in place in your home is very helpful. Even my closet where I keep skirts, pants, jackets and such separated.

Honored Contributor

Pretty much, yes.   I have this kind of 'sense of order' thing that has served me fairly well over the decades.

But now that my memory is gone and I get confused a lot, I find that a sense of order, or systems for everything, are even more important.  Otherwise, if I'm just going off the cuff, I mess things up.  

Pretty much everything I do now has a system, list, or some sense of order and habit so that I don't mess up on important things.  It helps with the confusion problems, too.  I still get confused a lot now but I can ride it out and then go back to whatever system applies to a given task.  Smiley Happy

Plus, I also have a couple of favorite parking spots at the grocery store, dentist, etc.  Smiley Happy   Heck yeah!   I have a great deal of adversion to the neanderthals who will park practically on top of your car and swing open the doors of their beater piece-o-crapmobile and dent other cars.  I've learned that some even consider that a sport.  

I take care of my things, for which I've worked hard to obtain and I am on my last car so I do all I can to avoid the thoughtless idiots that will take glee in doing damage to the property of others.

Esteemed Contributor

I also walk the same direction through every shop or store every time.  Do you?

Honored Contributor

colliegirls wrote:

I also walk the same direction through every shop or store every time.  Do you?

Ha!  I used to.  Now that I get  confused so much I find myself going all over the store, helter skelter, and it drives me crazy.  If I could get myself back to doing it that way it would be a lot easier!

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt,

I got a map of the layout of the store and made a sublist for myself to fill up the grocery list faster and go in order. I hate having to go rows back because I missed something. Sometimes the store people are stocking and that means backtracking if I can't get to it. So you're not alone in that area.

Honored Contributor

Hi QG!   That sounds like a good idea.

Wouldn't ya know it - BOTH of the grocery stores I frequent have recently embarked on a whole new floor plan and have moved a good percentage of stuff completely.  *sigh*    Before that I did know where everything was but, even with a list in my hand, I would forget when I was at one area or another.

Fortunately, the people who work at both stores are really nice and I can ask where a very specific item is and they can send me in the right direction.  I'm generally somebody who never asks anybody for anything, but I'm comfortable asking the store personnel where stuff is and they are always helpful.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

Anyone that has been an athlete in any competitive competition? They do the same things in relation to their competition, in every pre-event competition.

As for parking and things of that nature, I park where I can and pretty much go with the flow, not habit.

hnj

Parking (in same area), and shopping is a competitive, athletic competition for most women!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am definitely a creature of habit. I like things to go smooth and easy....no surprises in my day.  I plan out my week ahead of time, and hate it when a wrench gets thrown in and changes my schedule.  Life is what it is....  And it always throws in unexpected surprises....I just do not like it.

As as far as parking.....it doesnot matter to me where I park. 

Honored Contributor

@tedEbear wrote:

@Desertdi------east side of superstition?   We usually park at JCP hoe furnishing side.  That's if DH finds a close spot.

@tedEbear..............East side of Paradise Valley.    I go early......right when the stores open.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

No, I'm the opposite.

For work i have to travel to the same locations most weeks and try different ways just to mix it up. I seldom make lists, decide in the morning what I feel like doing that day when I'm not working.

Never make an appointment to get my hair cut just stop by one of those Great Clips/Fantastic Sams places if I'm up for it when I'm out and about. I have to be sufficently annoyed with my hair to get it cut because I dislike strange people messing with my person.

I park wherever I come upon a space; however, if I see a space beside a car like mine I will bypass an available one to park by it. Makes no sense, I know, but I think my car appreciates it. Sort of like a reunion.