Honored Contributor

Re: Are You Tired of Hearing "Friendsgiving?"

No I think its a nice way of having Thanksgiving with friends only, no family.  To me Thanksgiving is family time.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, it doesn’t bother me at all. The young people in my life have been doing it for several years. They get together at some point during the holiday season, when the majority of their gang is back in town visiting their families. I can’t imagine why anyone would expend the energy to be upset about it. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

It is Thanksgiving..........It means giving thanks for all we have.  Means nothing else to me or my family.  I don't like all the made up words and phrases.

Honored Contributor

yep--its stupid- like the yahs with holidays--stupid!!!!

Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

No I think its a nice way of having Thanksgiving with friends only, no family.  To me Thanksgiving is family time.

Well then. I  guess I have been having Friendsgiving for over 40 year since my family lives over 1,000 miles away.  😐

Who knew I wasn't sharing Thanksgiving with my friends.

In reality, I don't much care what it is called. I enjoy the food and the company. Nothing else matters.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus   "Friendsgiving" is usually BEFORE Thanksgiving.  Usually 20 & 30 year olds have it with their friends then do a traditional Thanksgiving with family. 

I think you should ask your adult children why they don't want to invite some of their friends to your Thanksgiving table.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@haddon9 wrote:

@Shanus   "Friendsgiving" is usually BEFORE Thanksgiving.  Usually 20 & 30 year olds have it with their friends then do a traditional Thanksgiving with family. 

I think you should ask your adult children why they don't want to invite some of their friends to your Thanksgiving table.

@haddon9   I know a few friends live a few hours away, but we certainly have empty rooms in the "inn" upstairs & they'd be welcome to stay over.

Esteemed Contributor

I don’t care for the word because no where in Thanksgiving does it insinuate that it’s only for family.

With, that said. We are calling the Christmas gathering at the office “Friendsgiving” so the people that don’t celebrate Christmas can attend the Luncheon as well.

Valued Contributor

I always thought it was not on Thanksgiving unless you are not near family. I thought the intention was to have an informal gathering of friends you are thankful for. More laid back & maybe just appetizers & fun with friends before Christmas madness starts.

Honored Contributor

After this discussion, I had to ask my kids if they are going to one.  My son (who will be joining us on Thanksgiving ) was invited to one but can't make it.  My DD is going to a Friendsgiving dinner tonight but she will be missed on Thanksgiving since she's going with her boyfriend to his parents' house.