Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are You Tired of Hearing "Friendsgiving?"

@ScarletDove wrote:

Yes, I am really tired of the foolish and childish play on words for whatever purposes...

Like play on words hasn't been around since ..... forever.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Then why not call it Thanksgiving is you're giving thanks? Is it because your dinner isn't on the last Thursday of the month that makes the difference? Again, sounds like a way to sell plates, napkins and decor that says "Friendsgiving" on it.

Valued Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

Yeah, I am. Last time I checked, Thanksgiving was celebrated by friends and family. So, if we have the term "Friendsgiving", I guess we need to add the term "Famsgiving". How about we just eliminate the word "Thanksgiving" then?

The whole thing is stupid. I don't know how it started but I'm willing to bet someone who works in PR or Marketing thought it up in order to sell something. 

@SahmIam  Friendsgiving is in the dictionary. Like I said earlier, it doesn't trust have to do with the fact that it is exclusively friends rather than 5e friends and family who attend Thanksgiving. I'm also pretty sure there is no financial gain anywhere from the celebration. However, since you think it's "stupid" and assert this is a PR Marketing thing, please share with us proof of how this is in effect.

Valued Contributor

You know who liked wordplay? William Shakespeare. Do you know how many words we use everyday in the English language didn't exist until folks like him made them up through the use of wordplay?

Honored Contributor

I don't have a problem with it.  As times have changed, many people don't live near family or don't have family, so it's nice to recognize that friends want to get together and celebrate--often not on Thanksgiving day.

I don't see that it does any harm, take away from anything else, or does anything but describe accurately an alternative way of celebrating, or an additional way of celebrating. 

Honored Contributor

Yes.

~ house cat ~
Valued Contributor

You know who would most likely complain about a harmless, beautiful celebration like Friendsgiving? Those with no friends who would never be invited.

Honored Contributor

@MaryLamb  I don't have to prove anything; it's my opinion. That said, Walmart does have a display of "Friendsgiving" decor and paper products  so someone is making money. Still haven't heard why it needs to be called "Friendsgiving". If you have friends over, it's still Thanksgiving. If you have friends over for Christmas, it's still Christmas. The point, I thought, was to celebrate being thankful no matter who are with; hence the word "Thanksgiving".

Honored Contributor

Not sure that I'm tired of it yet, but I've heard it alof.  I've been invited to a friendsgiving in early December.

Respected Contributor

My daughter and my son in law just had a "friendsgiving". Everyone brought a side dish and my daughter cooked a turkey. Yes, these 30 somethings know how to cook.

I think it's great they all get together to celebrate. On Thanksgiving, we'll be together as a family.