Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are You Tired of Hearing "Friendsgiving?"

@sashamatthews  I think I just realized what bothers me about it. It took the "Thanks" out of the "giving." 

Valued Contributor

The term has been around for over a decade and is a legitimate designation for the meal that friends get together to share before they go their several ways to enjoy Thanksgiving with their respective families. From what I understand, it came out of the idea that while you can't choose your family, or what happens when you spend time with your family at a Thanksgiving, at least you know that you can choose your friends and that the time you'll spend together at Friendsgiving will be less contentious and trying than what one might experience at Thanksgiving. 

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom 

I haven’t heard of the term before this.

Esteemed Contributor

Dang! This is why I LOVE these forums! It just occurred to me why the term Friendsgiving bothered me! The Thanks is gone. It  takes the focus off of the thanks we feel for the gifts we have been given, and it places the focus on the "party." Thanks everyone!

Honored Contributor

The First Nations people and the pilgrims weren't family. Maybe do away with thanksgiving and do familygiving and Friendsgiving or if it's a mix, friends and familygiving now 20% off. 

Respected Contributor

I'm really out of the loop!  This is the first time learning about Friendsgiving. So, I guess I'm not tired of hearing it! 

Respected Contributor

Yes, I am really tired of the foolish and childish play on words for whatever purposes...

Super Contributor

I am really surprised that people haven't heard this term. For those of us who don't have wonderful family memories of Thanksgiving, have lost family members, or live far away, it can be a very lonely day. The term "Friendsgiving", is inclusive. It legitimizes those whose friends serve as their family, or those who due to stressful family situations, would rather spend the day elsewhere. If you have never spent that day alone or struggled to answer when asked what your plans were for the holiday, you may not get it. I think it's great!

“…nevertheless, she persisted.”
Honored Contributor

Yeah, I am. Last time I checked, Thanksgiving was celebrated by friends and family. So, if we have the term "Friendsgiving", I guess we need to add the term "Famsgiving". How about we just eliminate the word "Thanksgiving" then?

The whole thing is stupid. I don't know how it started but I'm willing to bet someone who works in PR or Marketing thought it up in order to sell something. 

Esteemed Contributor

Just because friends get together for Friendsgiving, doesn't mean that they aren't thankful.

What a ridiculous assumption to make.

One can be thankful for the gifts in their life when they are with their friends, and NOT ONLY when they with their family.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.