Honored Contributor

Re: Are You Tired of Hearing "Friendsgiving?"

I don't hear that term ever.  But it doesn't change what is.  I see nothing wrong with the term.  There are people (like the military), who can't be home with their families, the people they know as friends become their away family.  Maybe in explaining who they will be spending the holiday with is their way of how and with who they will be spending that day with. I think it's a kind expression.  Most of our first years (of which there were many) that was the sort of holiday we had.  We were so thankful for our friends.  

Respected Contributor

I hear you can pick your friends not your family , so, have the holiday with your friends. 

Trusted Contributor

I have never heard that term. 

Trusted Contributor

I'm not sure why I hadn't heard this term, but, I don't find it bothersome, at all, in fact it's kind of sweet. 

I agree, new words, terms, are invented, and, I personally,am glad our language, is that fluid. 

Happy Thanksgiving, Friendsgiving to everybody! 

In fact, I'll jump right in and say, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, however you may celebrate or not celebrate, this time of the year. 

Be safe and be gentle with yourself,

Respected Contributor

I am not tired of Friendsgiving. It’s a wonderful opportunity to celebrate with a wider group than just those who gather around your table on Thanksgiving. I don’t see this as competition with Thanksgiving, rather it’s a complementary celebration. You can celebrate with your friend group before everyone scatters. And Thanksgiving doesn’t mean a gathering of just family. I celebrated 15 Thanksgivings with no family around the table and it was still Thanksgiving. How can gathering in friendship to give thanks for those who bring joy to your life not be a good thing.

Honored Contributor

Aren't "friends" and "giving"  two

of the best words we have today?  Of all the words floating around now a days??

Occasional Contributor

In our area where we live it's mostly retired people, ages 40 and up who celebrate anything, anytime and Friendsgiving was celebrated by many this past weekend.  It doesn't bother me, it's about getting together sharing a meal and a good time, it really doesn't to me what you call it.

Honored Contributor

This is the first I have heard it.  Did you know that our English words thank and think come from the same word? I just found that out yesterday.  The article went on to say, "If we'll stop to think, we'll be more thankfuI". Thanksgiving is a wonderful word and it reminds me to be more grateful.  It has been my observance (over the years) that thankful people seem to have more joy in their lives.  So, for me, the word thanks stays in Thanksgiving!

Frequent Contributor

@bathina wrote:

My daughter and my son in law just had a "friendsgiving". Everyone brought a side dish and my daughter cooked a turkey. Yes, these 30 somethings know how to cook.

I think it's great they all get together to celebrate. On Thanksgiving, we'll be together as a family.

I like it! On Sunday my daughter and her boyfriend hosted a Friendsgiving dinner and it was great. A dozen people, including my son and I. She cooked, I cooked and people brought food and wine. We are in Los Angeles and there were lots of veggie centric healthy dishes - I made the only meat (her BF request!). I even made a Paleo Pumpkin Pie which was a break from tradition and it turned out great.  They are going to Tokyo on Thanksgiving day and did not want to miss out on the celebration. I was so impressed with the warmth and hospitatility - their beautiful living room had 2 big tables end to end with candles, cloth napkins, dishes and silver flatware - I thought it was lovely to bring together friends and family for a wonderful celebration dinner - most of their friends are Australian so Thanksgiving is not a thing, but they love it.

It is true that some younger people do not cook but when I ask, their parents did not cook so they had no one to show them. I think there is a renewed interest. I cook and bake all the time so my daughter grew up around it - she never wanted to when she was younger because I did it and of course, she did not want to be like me (back then...) But, she is a wonderful cook now. Not a baker really, she is too improvisatinal for that. Any excuse to bring people together around the table - I say bring it!

Respected Contributor

Yes, my daughter attended Friendsgiving at the house of a college friend. 

AND they ALL made food to bring

It's friends enjoying each others company and a meal.