Regular Contributor

Re: Are You Tired of Hearing "Friendsgiving?"

Manny2, I agree too. I can't stand 'cray cray'. Dumbing down of our language. 

Regular Contributor

I thought it was from a Friends episode. 

Honored Contributor

Not really. DD and three of her high school friends get together every year the Saturday night after Thanksgiving. One of the girls started it their first year of college - in different states. She doesn't get to see them that much so she really looks forward to it. The same girl hosts every year and makes the turkey. The rest bring a side dish. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

It's popular among the 30 somethings I work with. Basically it's a get together for them with no traditional foods....well, because they don't know how to cook. 😉

I'm more tired of inspo and convo myself.

Exactly!  Both of my 30 something kids have been doing "Friendsgiving" for years...since they were in college.  They would get together with a group of friends and in their case have a traditional Thanksgiving dinner usually the weekend before the holiday.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

Dang! This is why I LOVE these forums! It just occurred to me why the term Friendsgiving bothered me! The Thanks is gone. It  takes the focus off of the thanks we feel for the gifts we have been given, and it places the focus on the "party." Thanks everyone!

@PA Mom-mom   Thanks are still given...it started with college kids more than 10 years ago getting together with their friends (where the term began) before the holiday with family.

Respected Contributor

Not as much as them screaming FRIYAY at me!

Valued Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@MaryLamb  I don't have to prove anything; it's my opinion. That said, Walmart does have a display of "Friendsgiving" decor and paper products  so someone is making money. Still haven't heard why it needs to be called "Friendsgiving". If you have friends over, it's still Thanksgiving. If you have friends over for Christmas, it's still Christmas. The point, I thought, was to celebrate being thankful no matter who are with; hence the word "Thanksgiving".

@SahmIam  Wow. I just can't.

Esteemed Contributor

@bathina wrote:

My daughter and my son in law just had a "friendsgiving". Everyone brought a side dish and my daughter cooked a turkey. Yes, these 30 somethings know how to cook.

I think it's great they all get together to celebrate. On Thanksgiving, we'll be together as a family.

I agree that 30-somethings know how to cook.  My son is a better cook than I am, and I'm pretty good!  And I've been to lovely holiday dinners prepared by people in their 20's and 30's.

The term Friendsgiving has been around for more than 10 years.  It's not that new or created by the youth of today.  It's also not necessarly Thanksgiving dinner on Thanksgiving Day.  It can be a get-together with friends - a potluck or traditional Thanksgiving dinner or whatever they want it to be - sometime during the Thanksgiving season.  It doesn't always replace Thanksgiving dinner with family, although it might, depending on the circumstances of the people involved.

I don't hear the term often, but I've been hearing it for many years.  And it's always just meant a nice friends thing, people celebrating their gratitude at having each other in their lives - Certainly nothing I would ever think of as offensive.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SleepyTime wrote:

I thought it was from a Friends episode. 

I don't know if it originated on Friends, but they did have a Friendsgiving celebration on one episode - or maybe more than one.  As I just wrote above, the concept of Friendsgiving is not new.   The last episode of Friends was in 2004.  So the youth of today certainly can't be blamed for this one!

Respected Contributor

Are you making this up?