Honored Contributor

Are You Responsible for Everyone's Happiness?

[ Edited ]

Aother topic on this board started me thinking about how often it seems women are supposed to make everyone around them happy.  Give up your own wants and needs, see that others do the right thing, make sure the gifts and cards are sent, etc. etc.

Do you feel pressure to keep peace in the family and among friends?  I used to be pressured into that, but now sometimes my attitude is "Hey if you all are mad, I'm going to get out the lawn chairs and sell tickets to the event."

Maybe I'm just old and crass, maybe I'm tired of dealing with whining people who need to be told "buck up!"  LOL!!

What do you think?  I know there is a time and a place for that, but ALL the time?  I think there is some reasonable place to be on that.

Respected Contributor

Re: Are You Responsible for Everyone's Happiness?

You have my vote on this. I've been the glue, paper and all the rest of it for years. I don't mind doing things for my family, but sometimes......

Honored Contributor

Happiness comes from within, so no, I don't think I'm responsible for their happiness, yet I don't try to make them miserable either.

Respected Contributor

I realize that I am not really, but yes, I do that for everyone I know. Friends, family, work, strangers on the street....it's all my fault if they aren't comfortable or happy!

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Aother topic on this board started me thinking about how often it seems women are supposed to make everyone around them happy.  Give up your own wants and needs, see that others do the right thing, make sure the gifts and cards are sent, etc. etc.

Do you feel pressure to keep peace in the family and among friends?  I used to be pressured into that, but now sometimes my attitude is "Hey if you all are mad, I'm going to get out the lawn chairs and sell tickets to the event."

Maybe I'm just old and crass, maybe I'm tired of dealing with whining people who need to be told "buck up!"  LOL!!

What do you think?  I know there is a time and a place for that, but ALL the time?  I think there is some reasonable place to be on that.

I used to.  I don't anymore.

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

It's not that I am responsible, but as the Grandma and the super-glue that holds this family together, I do feel the need to make sure everyone is happy...lol, they are a happy group anyway. We love God and we love and respect each-other...we have a good foundation,and without a  good foundation your house will crumble...

Respected Contributor

Well, I'm such a delightful ray of sunshine, I can't help but let others bask in my glow if they so desire.  NOT!  Woman LOL

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Valued Contributor

Nope-we are all responsible for our own happiness-

I do try to be loving, kind, respectful, supportive and sympathetic-I wish that everyone could feel better for having been in my presence-

Doesn't always work out that way though-

Smiley Embarassed

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, and quite frankly, I'm getting tired of it.  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

I love caring for my husband but I am not now nor will I ever be a doormat.