Trusted Contributor

Re: Are You Paying For Access To News Sites?

I will NOT pay for news sites on the internet. Period.

Trusted Contributor

@Noel7wrote:

@Tribesterswrote:

@Noel7

I noticed a few sites wouldn’t let me read the articles unless I paid a subscription. I just googled the headline & read it elsewhere.

But your post is making me wonder what will happen when “net neutrality” goes into effect. I heard rumblings that some websites would charge a fee to access them. I already pay a fee for my internet service so not too eager to pay additional fees just to go to websites. 

Hi @Tribesters

Yes, I wasn't even thinking about that at first.  It very well could be a problem.

Newspapers have been doing this for years so I don't think net neutrality would make a difference.

Probably the biggest reason any website might start charging is because of all the ad blockers people use. If they can't make money on ads and they don't actually sell anything they have to make money somehow.

Honored Contributor

This is nothing new. Many 'news papers' have required a subscription fee after a short free period, for years now. 

I've been paying for the most local paper for a couple of years now (online access, have no desire to have the paper copy).

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Isobel Archerwrote:

@NYC Susanwrote:

@deepwaterdotterwrote:

Only The New York Times.

I agree!  It's very much worth the money.  I didn't hesitate and wouldn't give it up.

(I do read lots of others, with different points of view, but the Times is the only one I pay for.)

I am considering it - not for their news, but for their cultural articles.

That's what I love about it most..  I read much more than simply news.  The Times has a lot to offer.  It's been my go-to newspaper for as long as I can remember because, among other things there's a lot related to theater, cooking, books, travel, technology, human interest stories, restaurants, education, home decor, architecture etc.  It's much, much more than just news.

Honored Contributor

Speaking of cultural sections, I used to love getting the recipes and holiday news and suggestions from the Washington Post.

Respected Contributor

@Tribesterswrote:

@Noel7

I noticed a few sites wouldn’t let me read the articles unless I paid a subscription. I just googled the headline & read it elsewhere.

But your post is making me wonder what will happen when “net neutrality” goes into effect. I heard rumblings that some websites would charge a fee to access them. I already pay a fee for my internet service so not too eager to pay additional fees just to go to websites. 

@Tribesters Do you mean net un-neutrality?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

only the WSJ -  rarely am tempted by any other publication. 

Respected Contributor

@ms traditionalwrote:

only the WSJ -  rarely am tempted by any other publication. 

When Mad Men was running, I couldn't wait to get their commentary the next day.  They had several people offer interpretations and it was so interesting.

Esteemed Contributor

I have to get my daily fix it NYT and Washington Post Opinion section (that's how I start my day).

Respected Contributor

I get both WaPo and the Wash Times.  I figure the truth is somewhere in the middle.