Honored Contributor

Re: Are You Paying For Access To News Sites?

On the WaPo site, @Noel7, there is an initial offer of $1.00 for four weeks.  Afterward, they say it'll be $10.00 per month for unlimited .com access.  You probably saw that already.

I seem to recall getting email offers from them from time to time, which might have been because I gave them my email address for something or other in the past.  Sorry it's kind of hazy since I never followed through.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeachwrote:

On the WaPo site, @Noel7, there is an initial offer of $1.00 for four weeks.  Afterward, they say it'll be $10.00 per month for unlimited .com access.  You probably saw that already.

I seem to recall getting email offers from them from time to time, which might have been because I gave them my email address for something or other in the past.  Sorry it's kind of hazy since I never followed through.

Thanks @GingerPeach !

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7wrote:

@NYC Susanwrote:

@Noel7wrote:

All of a sudden, many news sites are requiring payment for reading articles.  I can't help but wonder how this is going over.  So far, I haven't signed up for any but I may.

I've been seeing that for years.  Lots of news/newspaper sites started doing that a long time ago.

Sometimes they limit the amount of articles you can read (5 per month, 10 per month) unless you pay for unlimited access.  I've been paying a small amount for unlimited access to the NY Times for quite awhile. 

They often have lower-cost promos, so anyone who's interested in trying out any of the sites should find out about that.

@NYC Susan

I just found out my daughter gets the online Wash Po and pays $9.99 a month for it.  

Where or how do you look for promos @NYC Susan ?

The New York Times used to have the info right there after the initial free articles had been read.  I've been paying for awhile, so I don't know if that still happens. I assume it does.  At the time, it was half price for 6 months, if I remember correctly.

If I was interested in another one, I would look on the website under "Subscribe", or I would google it.  (I just googled "Subscribe to Washington Post", and "Subscribe to the LA Times", and both times info re promos came up.)

Honored Contributor

Thanks @NYC Susan !

Trusted Contributor

@Noel7wrote:

All of a sudden, many news sites are requiring payment for reading articles.  I can't help but wonder how this is going over.  So far, I haven't signed up for any but I may.

Hi @Noel7,

I have noticed this as well.

I'm thinking that these newspapers must not have the readership that they used to, due to the Internet. 

People can get the news from their browser home pages, or from watching TV or from listening to the radio.

We no longer have cable TV, but I still listen to a local area radio station. We can get both the local and the national news, plus I'll look at national news stories on one of my Internet browser home pages, too.

So, I'll look at newspaper stories if there's something of interest, but usually I can already find the story on a browser home page. 

Valued Contributor

My local paper has a paywall.  I clear the cache and history to renew the five free articles.  There's not much to read there, though, so it's not often necessary.

Honored Contributor

A lot of newspapers/magazines have digital subscriptions.  Newspapers don't give away paper copies for free so why would they give digital access for free.   I see nothing wrong with it.

Respected Contributor

@NYC Susanwrote:

@deepwaterdotterwrote:

Only The New York Times.

I agree!  It's very much worth the money.  I didn't hesitate and wouldn't give it up.

(I do read lots of others, with different points of view, but the Times is the only one I pay for.)

I am considering it - not for their news, but for their cultural articles.

Honored Contributor

Me too @Isobel Archer.  I will buy the NYT at the newstand, or pick it up to read in the cafe at our local university, but always for the literary, art and home (decor) sections.

But I like doing it sort of ad hoc, random and spontaneous.  Don't think I would invest in an online site.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I would gladly pay for good journalism.They can't (and shouldn't) work for free. It is especially important right now with journalists being villified. I pay for NYT and WaPo.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu