Respected Contributor

Re: Are You Paying For Access To News Sites?

Oh gosh no! I get all the latest news right here on these forums!

Related image

Honored Contributor

i purchase two newspapers on daily paper subscription. they give me unlimited online access to their website aloing with that subscription.  i do also use some online news sites that allow only a certain number of articles that can be read online each month. if i use up that allotment then i move on to another site.

i can understand why some of these news agencies are doing it. the newspaper business has been a huge struggle for a while now.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I see that I can still read a certain number of NYT articles a month.  I used to be able to do that with WSJ, but now apparently that's no longer the case.

I am finally able to read WaPo online (which I should always have been able to do since I have a daily print subscription - but their site wouldn't let me for the longest time.)

I can still access sites such as CNN, FOX, etc., but wonder if they will start charging eventually as well.

Honored Contributor

I just refuse to pay, I"m cheap.

I used to buy the Sunday local paper but there isn't much in there anymore.

Sales, opinion, stories from other news sources.

I listen to radio  almost all day, different stations.

I also browse around Yahoo news  Yahoo has a little bit of everything.

Trusted Contributor

News is not news anymore.  It's not fact, just someone's opinion.  I would like someone to report the news without their slanted opinion. 

Honored Contributor

@luv-the-Qwrote:

News is not news anymore.  It's not fact, just someone's opinion.  I would like someone to report the news without their slanted opinion. 

And that is just opinion.  There is plenty of accurate news to be had, you just have to know the difference between fact and opinion.

Respected Contributor

I subscribe to the NY Times online, and have enjoyed it.  They have a daily update that is free, I think, as well.

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7wrote:

All of a sudden, many news sites are requiring payment for reading articles.  I can't help but wonder how this is going over.  So far, I haven't signed up for any but I may.

I've been seeing that for years.  Lots of news/newspaper sites started doing that a long time ago.

Sometimes they limit the amount of articles you can read (5 per month, 10 per month) unless you pay for unlimited access.  I've been paying a small amount for unlimited access to the NY Times for quite awhile. 

They often have lower-cost promos, so anyone who's interested in trying out any of the sites should find out about that.

Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotterwrote:

Only The New York Times.

I agree!  It's very much worth the money.  I didn't hesitate and wouldn't give it up.

(I do read lots of others, with different points of view, but the Times is the only one I pay for.)

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susanwrote:

@Noel7wrote:

All of a sudden, many news sites are requiring payment for reading articles.  I can't help but wonder how this is going over.  So far, I haven't signed up for any but I may.

I've been seeing that for years.  Lots of news/newspaper sites started doing that a long time ago.

Sometimes they limit the amount of articles you can read (5 per month, 10 per month) unless you pay for unlimited access.  I've been paying a small amount for unlimited access to the NY Times for quite awhile. 

They often have lower-cost promos, so anyone who's interested in trying out any of the sites should find out about that.

@NYC Susan

I just found out my daughter gets the online Wash Po and pays $9.99 a month for it.  

Where or how do you look for promos @NYC Susan ?