Honored Contributor

Re: Are You Paying For Access To News Sites?

@skuggleswrote:

@Noel7 For years they have been telling us that the middle class is being squeezed out and more are going into the lower. I feel like this is just one of the indicators. I don't mind paying for my news as I always did in the past. The internet was supposed to be the great equalizer in terms of free access to information. Now that we are all using it and it is so readily available somebody or somebodies who are in the class that's being squeezed are feeling the push and they are jumping on the opportunity to make more money to maintain their current standard of living and ironically turning the tide and making the internet sharing of information less accessible, and another form the less equal opportunities.

I agree @skuggles  And it may get worse.

Honored Contributor

I appreciate newspapers, but I listen to NPR everyday, and I get most of my news that way.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1wrote:

I appreciate newspapers, but I listen to NPR everyday, and I get most of my news that way.

@QVCkitty1

DH is a big fan of NPR also.  I get a lot of their news second hand from him Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

I don't read often online, but have been thinking about it.  Our local paper just announced a rate increase.  $432 to $600 a year.  I called to cancel it and they came back with an offer of $504.  I like to keep up on local things, but I don't know what I'll do.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7wrote:

@QVCkitty1wrote:

@QVCkitty1

DH is a big fan of NPR also.  I get a lot of their news second hand from him Woman LOL

@Noel7, I find it through and thought provoking.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I don't pay, @Noel7, and just access so long as a site gives free stories to whatever their limit might be.  I do believe Politico is still all free, however.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherrywrote:

I use google news ,as sort of a clearing house.  I think they might be doing this because newspapers are falling by the wayside, and this is a chance to pick up  more revenue

Not in my neck of the woods.  I still get the np delivered to my house.  I have a choice of 4 to pick from.

I am NOT going to pay for any online news.  I can get the exact same news from my local newspaper which I do pay for & FREE from the local & national tv news as well as CNN, C-Span, MSNBC & FOX News, Sky International News & BBC News (paying for my cable tv does not count).

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@GCR18wrote:

I don't read often online, but have been thinking about it.  Our local paper just announced a rate increase.  $432 to $600 a year.  I called to cancel it and they came back with an offer of $504.  I like to keep up on local things, but I don't know what I'll do.

It's just awful to charge that much @GCR18

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1wrote:

@Noel7wrote:

@QVCkitty1wrote:

@QVCkitty1

@Noel7, I find it through and thought provoking.

It is, he pops in often and lets me know.

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeachwrote:

I don't pay, @Noel7, and just access so long as a site gives free stories to whatever their limit might be.  I do believe Politico is still all free, however.

Hi @GingerPeach

At least we get good TV news coverage.  I like ABC local and CBS local, I often watch both, one at 6 and the other at 11.