Esteemed Contributor

Are You In The FBI Face-recognition Database?

The Federal Bureau of Investigation has access to as many as 411.9 million images as part of its face-recognition database. The bulk of those images are photographs of people who have committed no crime, according to a new report from the Government Accountability Office (GAO).

The report says the bureau's Facial Analysis, Comparison, and Evaluation Services Unit contains not only 30 million mug shots, but also has access to driver license photos from 16 states, the State Department's visa and passport database, and the biometric database maintained by the Defense Department.

Map of participating states from the article:

Full article:  http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/06/smile-youre-in-the-fbi-face-recognition-database/

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Re: Are You In The FBI Face-recognition Database?

Been fingerprinted because I handled large amounts of cash..........but I doubt the FBI has my picture..............(!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

many of the images were given to the FBI by facebook so if you posted pictures on facebook and identified the people in the pictures, all those pictures and associated names are  now in the FBI database.

Trusted Contributor

I have a passport so probably am in the database.  I was fingerprinted many years ago for my first nursing job at a state university hospital.  We were told our fingerprints were submitted to the FBI as part of background check.  

Respected Contributor

Be very careful who you post with on these forums. Someone might be watching. LOL.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

Makes no difference to me..........I'm the one who likes the idea of street security cameras.   IMO, they protect the innocent.   Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I've been fingerprinted (worked at the Pentagon in a secure area) and I've traveled all over Europe (passport).

I'm 70 this year so at this point it doesn't bother me.  If I get to where I can't find my way back home maybe my daughter can call them and they can put out my picture!

I have friends who are very paranoid about everything.  They won't order anything on line, pay cash for everything, don't have caller ID or listed phone number, don't belong to FB, don't use computer and on and on.

Honored Contributor

Given my old, wrinkled mug the computer probably kicked it out.

Esteemed Contributor

Most likely I am.
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Makes no difference to me..........I'm the one who likes the idea of street security cameras.   IMO, they protect the innocent.   Heart

I really don't care either. I am sure I am since I worked for the government on numerous occasions. Matters not to me.