Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are You Eating in Restaurants?

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624  I seldom salt anything, but have taken my own large grain pepper shaker to restaurants for many years. Once my autoimmune system was compromised, that was one of the first things we were taught in a diabetic class. I heard it again when diagnosed with lupus years later. Just looking at a pepper shaker (in a restaurant) tells me they are filthy!

Some restaurants also use inexpensive tableware. I have avoided those places since a little girl. My mom taught us to know the difference between 18/10 stainless steel and inexpensive metals used for tableware in the 1950's. If a restaurant uses the mysery metals, I'll walk out. Can't stand the feel in my hands, let alone with food. They are dangerous to your health.

In answer to your question: Yes, of course I'm comfortable going out to eat in a locally-owned, clean, smaller type restaurant which consistently receives excellent ratings from the Health Department or our Country Club. I don't frequent chain-type eateries and never fast food places.  

ETA: The place I'll probably never return is to see a movie. Although I have new season tickets with a friend for R&B, plays and other wonderful music events in our lovely auditoriums around the City. 

Like others have mentioned, I'm uncomfortable going to dinner alone. But would attend a symphony or classical concert if a friend wasn't available or had to cancel.                                                        

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Is it possible the pandemic has turned us into germophobes? 

If so, it would be with good reason-but I already was-I hate being the least bit sickSmiley Sad

Regular Contributor

I'm not uncomfortable eating out due to the pandemic at this point. It probably helps that I live in a less populated area.

I've just gotten less interested overall in eating out as I've "matured."  I want my hot foods, HOT, and my cold foods, COLD. I want the food to taste good and be seasoned well. I want it to look appealing and be fairly priced. It's gotten harder and harder to find places that serve food like this, even in the locally owned & sourced places. I find many of them have inconsistency in taste, quality, etc., depending on who is on duty. 

So like many have learned and others have rediscovered during the pandemic, I find cooking at home is a very viable option. People used to do it all the time, and even (gasp) packed their own lunches.

The reality is that, for many Americans, restaurant and fast-food workers are not "essential."  They are a luxury. 

~Quack

Trusted Contributor

I'm waiting for Soup Plantation to reopen and my all time favorite Furrs.  Woman LOL

In all seriousness we have not visited the inside of a restaurant yet but did go through the KFC drive thru the other day.  Bought the new chicken sandwich and my husband bought some pieces of extra crispy and said that they no longer include a biscuit.  So that was disappointing for him. 

Honored Contributor

Absolutely.  Was never bothered by it before and I'm not bothered by it now.

Contributor

Since I've been vaccinated, I've eaten inside a restaurant three times. I prefer to eat outside, but it's usually not an option at the restaurants my husband and I usually go to.
Honored Contributor

yes. a few times--felt weird tho, but sure was a treat--not going to do that much yet---

Esteemed Contributor

I feel just fine eating in restaurants now. We have been for a while now. I'm not going to cook every meal for 2 people. They maintain a distance, are keeping the restaurants clean, and condiments are all prepackaged and you can throw them away when you're done. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Is it possible the pandemic has turned us into germophobes? 

Some people....yes

Honored Contributor

I have several times since April. 

I'm not afraid of covid in the least, as far as getting from a restaurant setting. 

But what I have noticed, is that many things we did without during Covid, I don't really miss like I thought I would. 

In March of this year, having gone a full year not eating in a restaurant (when beforehand it often would happen once per week), I went to one of our favorites. The food was as good as it ever was, great to see the servers we've known for years, atmosphere was fine, but left with just a 'blah' feeling. I really didn't care, when leaving, if or when I would come back. 

There are just a number of things I got out of the habit of doing, and feel no real urges to get started again, and it has nothing to do with Covid fears. I've just gotten out of the habit, and lost interest in some things.