Honored Contributor

I used to be quite the party person when I was younger, in school and when I was working. But since I became disabled I just find social gatherings awkward because many people are more curious about my physical being rather than how I am as a person. I'd rather not go to parties anymore and have to play that broken record over again. Makes me uncomfortable.

Honored Contributor

As long as I know a couple of the people there ... I have no problem.  If I don't know anyone ... I'm uncomfortable at first, but force myself to be sociable.  Once I'm settled in and start talking to other people ... I'm fine.  

In a couple of instances over the past few years, I've met people at "parties" who I had "a connection" with ... one of those six-degrees of separation deals.  I always head for an older person who is sitting alone.

One case ... I started chatting with an older man - the usual, where are you from, etc.  Turns out our ancestors (from different counties in Ireland) emigrated to the same small town in PA coal country in the 19th century.  Very small town.  They probably knew one another!  He gave me a slip of paper with their last names on it so I could check the census records ... but when I got home, I couldn't find the paper. 

Another case ... talking to a woman about 10 years older than I am, dscovered that we both grew up in the same parish, and attended the same private school.   We travel in the same circles - so I still see her occasionally.

Honored Contributor

To be honest, I wouldn’t know. It’s been so long since I’ve been to a party. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

My relatives that dropped out of our social gatherings did so because they felt self conscious and embarrassed by some important noticeably missing teeth vital to their appearance.  One uncle can no longer wear his denture while eating and so has to take it out and refuses to join in family gatherings.  We have given him and other family members who cannot afford to replace their teeth money so they can join in and be happy again.  It's worth it to us to see once affable, friendly relatives be themselves.  

Respected Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

If that is true as you grow older, the Q wouldn't sell any clothes!

Lol...I know every year I agonize over what to wear to the pumpkin patch...

Honored Contributor

Don't know if this is the case, but I consider myself to be the classic introvert. Never have been much for parties, hated meetings at work and have little desire to travel.

Honored Contributor

I have always been anti-social when it comes to any kind of gathering.   I don’t do parties, showers, weddings, or family reunions.   

I can get along with people; was a strong team player at work, love every family member and friend dearly, but I enjoy my time alone more than anything.   

I was the kid who enjoyed being punished by being sent to my room.   Yea, yea I was supposed to be shut up in there thinking about what I’d done wrong, but honestly I was in there thinking about how great it was to be by myself without anyone bothering me.   My parents soon learned they had to punish me by making me do nasty jobs I hated, like emptying and washing ashtrays, burning household trash, and anything that made me sweat and get dirty.   

My husband is the complete opposite of me as well.   

Esteemed Contributor

I’ve never been a party person, even when I was younger. Personally I would rather be home doing laundry than go to a party. Hated when my husband had to attend office Christmas parties and I never went to office parties when I worked either. I don’t mind 1-2 others but large gatherings when I don’t know a lot of others and have to smile and make small talk I dread. 

Honored Contributor

I was only interested in parties when I was young and single, after I married my husband we would rarely attend a party. We really had very little in common with people who attended the parties and making small talk was like pulling teeth.  Now that we are retired we only see people and go places that interest us. I just blew off my 50th high school class reunion because attending gatherings in the past was such a big let down. These are the same people only old now. As far as family gatherings, since we are all retired or have one foot in the grave, we don't see each other, but I do speak to my siblings and my aunt just about every month. I must say my husband and I are satisfied with that arrangement.

Trusted Contributor

I prefer staying home in my comfort zone rather than being with people in a large group. DH will go alone to the annual Christmas office party because he feels obligated-with a different excuse for me every year.