Respected Contributor

Nope, never have been. It was a chore in HS because I joined organizations just so I could put it on my college applications.

I don't like being obligated to go places or do things and a lot of social interaction gives me a headache. And I find that I generally dislike more people than I like.

Esteemed Contributor

In general, no, but there have been a few exceptions. I was president of my  kids’ cooperative nursery school, I’m a lifetime member of Weight Watchers, and I am a member of our local YMCA, where I attend aerobic dance and Zumba classes. That is the entirety of my 72 years. I hate meetings (had more of my share at work) and don’t like to have too many time commitments now that I’m retired. I love being able to come and go as I please, or do nothing but read or watch TV. Having worked since I was 15, I deserve some time off.

Respected Contributor

Definitely not. 

Honored Contributor

I am not a joiner.  I married very young and had three children. My husband worked two full time jobs most of our married life and I worked full time too.  There was no time.

I have also found that if I did join something, it was not enjoyable after a while.  Groups of women just can't seem to get along 100% and I hate the drama.

After my first child, I did join a ladies auxiliary at the local fire house at the urging of my husband.  They used to put on spaghetti dinner fund raisers.  Those women couldn't cook!  Spaghetti dinners were only pasta with canned tomato juice and ground beef on top.  I laughed so hard I almost peed myself.  They did sell a lot of those dinners though.

I asked to make dessert so I could bake at home and not have to go in on Monday nights. So, every week, I would make eight pies and my DH would deliver them.  One time I asked my DH if they sold well and if they were making any money from them. He said the ladies were taking them home and they were not being sold with the rest of the desserts. So, I quit.  I was paying for the ingredients and donating them, and they were not even being sold.

I'd rather stay home and read.

Honored Contributor

Only if it benefits me in some way so:

*Professional organization related to my career (including sitting on a board)

*Officer position of any organization that involved my children

*HOA (President)

In my world, I want to know what's going on when my career, my children or my finances are going to be directly affected by those in charge. I learned early on that it's better to be one of those making the decisions than being told these are the decisions. 

Other than that, NO, I don't join. 

Honored Contributor

I've been on a bowling league (short lived, just a year), church ladies group, other church committees here and there, a Bunco group, and a community theater group a couple of summers (no acting, just behind the scenes with costumes and makeup), high school music boosters (instrumental).  Bunco was fun.  I came in as a sub once and ended up becoming permanent.  It went on for a year or two.  Someone suggested taking the summer off, so we did, and then it never got back on its feet again.  Music Boosters was a long haul - 12 yrs.  We were committed and very active.  I also helped with football mom activities one season.  Oh, I almost forgot...I was a parade judge for several years for our town's annual summer festival.  I think that's all.  

Honored Contributor

No, I am and was always too shy.  That was interpreted in high school as being a snob.  Couldn’t have been further from the truth.

I think I can relate here, especially in wellness, because this forum is anonymous.  If I were sitting in a room with all of you, you wouldn’t hear a peep out of me!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

I was on a bowling league and golf league.Enjoyed those a lot.Now nothing.

Honored Contributor

No.  I don't like people. Smiley Happy

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Valued Contributor

when my hubby passed away 2 years ago i joined a widows group  they helped me through a lot  and i bless each and every one .