Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are You A Gardner Or A Flower?

I'm a gardener surrounded by many, many flowers.  Sigh.

Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I fear there are those who would consider me a 'weed'

LOL. Years ago one of the most "robust" board discussions ever happened over that word.

I don't like people looking after me so I guess I'm a gardener.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

While I agree it's true that some people fall at the ends of the spectrum, I think most relatively well-adjusted people have the gardener and the flower characteristics.  Everyone experiences times when they need to receive care and nourishment.   Also, if we're going to be in a successful relationship we have to be willing and able to provide care and nourishment.   So I don't agree that the "best marriages" are those with one gardener and one flower.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Working on balance...self-care as well as kindness and compassion towards others.  I don't expect or require being taken care (but I am grateful when someone is caring towards me), it is important for me to care for myself so I can care for others as well.   I consider this a core principle in my life.

I think "weeds" and "prickly pears" are beautiful!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hsawaknow wrote:

Right now I feel like a potted plant.

@hsawaknow...LOL...Aww, well let me be your gardener and I will free you from that restrictive pot and plant you in rich soil in a beautiful field of flowers where you will be free to flourish and grow in your new life ahead! 

bliss emoticon

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

Years ago, I was more of a flower.  Now I'm a gardener, but not by choice.   I prefer a balance.

Super Contributor

Hmm. Dunno. Is a flower a needy narcissist? Seems like an uneven relationship imho.

Honored Contributor

I am more of a gardener, by far, I would even say.  But I have to admit that I do want to be the flower at times!  I mean, I think most people, no matter how much they are by nature a gardener or a nurturer, there are times, when we need to be tended to or nurtured as well.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I am definately a flower.  I used to be a gardener but found out it's much better being a flower. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Are You A Gardener Or A Flower?

Gardners enjoy pleasing others and aren't happy unless they have someone to please. Flowers are not needy, they are needed. They show appreciation, they make gardeners happy. While most of

sometimes are called upon to take care of others, if are nature is to be a flower, we don't enjoy it. Sometimes a gardener is forced, perhaps through illness, to be a flower and they resent it. They make grumpy, hard to please patients.