Esteemed Contributor

Are You A Direct Route Or Scenic Route Person?

I am a direct route. Go to my destination and back, quickest direct route. DH was a, "let's see where this road goes" guy.  DD is just like her Dad.  Drives me crazy.  

Last night about 6pm it was beautiful out. Cool and still a ton of sunlight. We decided to go past a farm about 9 miles from here to see if they had planted their sunflowers again. Years past they had acres of sunflowers planted right next to the road.

DD was driving so of course it was the round about dirt roads way. I hadn't been one one road in 35 yrs. At one point I asked where the heck are we?

The kick in the pants was the sunflowers aren't along the road now.  They are planted away from the road you have to pay $8 per adult and $6 per child to see them. Their parking area was full.  We did not stop.

It's good they are busy but I'm not paying $16 (no, not a lot of $) to walk to a field and see sunflowers.

What should have been a nice 18 mile ride turned into more than 30 miles thanks to my DD, the explorer.

Are you direct or scenic?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are You A Direct Route Or Scenic Route Person?

@CrazyKittyLvr2  I would definitely get in a car with your daughter!  I love exploring.

Valued Contributor

It depends on where we are going.  If it's somewhere we haven't been and we have the time -- we often take highways off the navigation system and just meander home.  We both really enjoy doing that.

Honored Contributor

I love road trips and would drop a set itinerary in a minute in order to veer off to see something interesting or beautiful.  I always stop to read roadside historical markers if I can safely do so.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  I'm a direct route and DH is a scenic route lover. As he is usually driving, he gets to choose. However, when we're enroute to see our children and grandchildren, we're absolutely direct. DH is a history buff, so I never know when a simple trip to Costco will turn into "O, will they ever return?"

Esteemed Contributor

Riding with DH and DD was awful.  "Hey, a road we've never been on (and no idea where you will end up)."  It was like traveling with Lewis and Clark.

They had me out in Deliverence terrority one day and I thought my bladder would explode. Not a sign of civilation or a bathroom anywhere.

Esteemed Contributor

This is all we saw, woods.IMG_0043 (3).jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Direct route here.  Not much patience with interfering with, imposing on my time.  I think it's inconsiderate assuming I would like to go here or there, even if it would be my daughter.

It's different if I know beforehand and agree to go along.  I'm more of a planner, not all that spontaneous.  

Honored Contributor

Kind of funny - one thing my brain saw with the thread title was about when people are talking to you.   Some people take the scenic route and I'm a GET TO THE FREAKING POINT person.  Smiley Very Happy

But, seriously, I guess I'm pretty much the same with driving somewhere.  If I have a specific end point I just want to get there.  If I'm on vacation, or just otherwise visiting somewhere different from where I live, I enjoy the looking around and taking my time as long as I don't have a specific time commitment.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I am totally direct and won't vary my route unless it's an area particularly hard to drive in.