Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

No and I see those who are as weak and unstable. Some are just attention seeking manipulators. They probably used crying to get what they wanted as children and it was a success then so why not now.

Your posts on this subject, @occasionalrain, strike me as attention seeking😏

Respected Contributor

I may cry a few times a year.  A loss of a family member or special friend.  A sad movie or family event. Not over dramatic but sometimes we all need that.  But....I consider myself sensitive, but most times I cry in private.  Maybe hurt feelings.  I have a friend with a very sick 3 year old. I could ball over that too much if I over think it.  We are blessed in so many ways and sometimes we all take simple things in life for granted.  

Respected Contributor

I didn't cry at my husbands funeral, I never cry in public but will when I'm alone. Crying is NOT a sign of weakness or manipulation, it's simply a release. Another poster mentioned tears for Gladys Knight National Anthem & the flyover...I understand that, it gave me chills because it was so beautiful & moving.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

Other than a death do you cry often?  No., I don't. Movies,songs, commercials don't do it. I might think something is sad or terrible but I don't cry. It's never made me feel better.

@CrazyKittyLvr2

No, I almost never cry. Not even when there has been a death. 

It never made me feel better either. Complete waste of time, energy, and red eyes. 

I am calm in a crisis, never one to fall apart. 

But, a Hallmark movie might make me eyes start to well up...but tears are rare.

Honored Contributor

I  think since it is an anonymous forum, people should be able to, within reason, say how they really feel.  It helps us understand others to read and think about how others feel and react, even it if may not be our norm. 

We are all very different people, and our paths to here are so different.  I think most of us do the best we can with the cards life has dealt us. 

Respected Contributor

I am known to cry very easily. I am called the Water Works. I am too sensitive and always have been. Last month I lost my youngest son tragically. All I do is cry. We are in the house he grew up in. So many memories. We live in the woods and he loved it here. In the spring we are moving to a smaller house near the ocean. My older son wants us close to him and his family. Have always loved the ocean. I can’t and don’t talk to anyone. My husband is not good either. Talking to people ————just can’t. Please a prayer for us. 

Trusted Contributor

All the time for both happy or sad.

Poignant news stories always, especially those regarding children, the elderly or animals.

I'll cry if someone is telling me a sad story.

I learned not to be embarrassed about this.

Emotions like these are real and shouldn't be suppressed.

I don't care if someone sees me crying.

Contributor

Such a nasty, condescending, judgmental remark from an "esteemed" contributor.  I trust these goofy adjectives are assigned based solely on number of comments made.

Frequent Contributor

I have cried about world history and the deaths of innocents by despots. Also, cried when learning of senseless deaths from home invasions or similar type of thing that has happened in a public place.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Are You A Cryer?

[ Edited ]

​I used to cry as a child, then society taught me to stuff the feelings and that "strong people don't cry."   

Strange how society did that to so many people, and the suppressed emotions couldn't release in tears so they manifested in other ways not always very healthy or safe.   In the same truth that our secrets can make us sick, so can the suppressed tears.    The time I've spent in outpatient therapy and and inpatient psychiatric care taught me valuable lessons about the damage we do when we think we must stifle the tears and, so, we stifle the associated feelings.   All in the name of appearing to be "strong" and feeling shameful and shame-filled if we cried, I suppose.  

One of the most glorious and miraculous things about being human is that we have differences and similarities...  finding our own, unique healthiest path is what we must do individually, without suffering the stain of harsh judgment by other people who think they know how all of us should act.

I'm not advocating frequent uncontrollable weeping in public, but I have learned that crying doesn't mean one is weak...  it's simply, occasionally, and beautifully an outlet for remarkably deep feelings, whether in public or private.   It also can help us understand ourselves better, especially when tears spring to our eyes unexpectedly.  

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova