Honored Contributor

Good question.

No, except in a few instances.  Now, I shed a few tears, not actually cry, when I hear the National Anthem and see the flag flying.  I love our country.  Don't tear up just seeing a flag somewhere.

I also shed tears when I see animals, wild or domesticated, mistreated or watching them being rescued.  I cried a lot when my dogs died in the past and sometimes just thinking about them now.  

I will be a basket case when my parents die and sometimes thinking about that will bring tears to my eyes.   

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

There is a difference between feelings and making a public display of them. Open crying does not mean the person is more affected than the one who controls their emotions. I believe it's the opposite. Those who cry at movies identify with what is portrayed and, in reality, are crying for themselves.

@occasionalrain

I think your posts on this topic are dismissive and revealing.

Thankfully, many are able to feel empathy for others, without being manipulative, weak, or unstable.  Surely such generalities are based on identification and knowledge of self.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

After reading the wonderful comments here, a few brought my attention to other occasions I cried.

I cried when I sold my last car.  25 years old, over 250,000 miles on it...so reliable it was, never let me down despite it's age, although it was taken good care of.  It wasn't so much the car as it was the memories.  One...drove from the east coast to California one time with my mother and dog...were caught in a heavy snow storm, had to detour through Texas to Midland, then went west.   Along the way, we saw cattle stranded here and there all alone, knee deep in snow, with nothing to eat. 

There was one small plane flying overhead, probably the owner checking on some of them, but this went on for miles and miles.   Changed my mind on how our cattle are managed. While that was unpleasant to see, the rest of the trip was marvelous.  Took Route 66.  

That car accompanied my moves to 4 states.  Sold it to an airline pilot who, although, the car was still in good shape, wanted to restore it to like new.  Yes, I cried.

I also shed tears two of the times I moved...my childhood home, and the one I lived in California, again, it's the memories; although I liked both houses, too.  

Tears in my eyes as I write this.  

Esteemed Contributor

I do not cry unless I trust those who may witness it.  It is a very vulnerable state, ordinarily.  Some may manipulate others by it.

I have read many theories of why we do.  It's interesting, and actually probably necessary, from an evolutionary standpoint.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Re: Are You A Cryer?

[ Edited ]

I can cry at a funeral of a loved one but try to keep it quiet as I can.  Some sad stories and some songs will bring tears to my eyes.  Being hurt deeply sometimes makes me cry.  Seeing people in pain can make me cry. I can't say I'm a daily cryer but once in a while, yes, I cry and mostly when I'm alone.  They say the release is good for your health.  I believe that.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Are You A Cryer?

[ Edited ]

Occasionally, something will make my eyes water, but it's rare.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

No and I see those who are as weak and unstable. Some are just attention seeking manipulators. They probably used crying to get what they wanted as children and it was a success then so why not now.

Seriously?

I cry fairly often. It's human and it is cathartic. I'm not weak, unstable, or an attention seeking manipulator. I know people who are those things though, and it has zero to do with crying.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain assuming people are weak,unstable and manipulative because they cry easily isn't fair. Give these people a chance you'll be shocked how strong,stable and kind they are.  Of course there are always exceptions. 

Enjoy your day.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

i cry very easily.

think of a song we sing in church, i cry, movie, i cry (but it has to be a lovey squishy movie), even if my husband and i have a disagreement i cry.

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain  Really?

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein