Honored Contributor

Re: Are/Were You A Joiner (Clubs or Organizations).

@SunValley wrote:

The there was one organization I was interested in joining because their thrift shop helped women and children escaping domestic violence. But then I was politely told my social credentials were subpar for their elite membership. So I donate directly to the women's and children's shelter. 

What are one's "social credentials"?  I wonder if mine would qualify?

Honored Contributor

At one point I was in a lot of groups.  But because of my work skills, I wound up doing a lot of work and that got old.

Also, I found because I worked in a high pressure job, one with deadlines that had little or no flexibility, I found sometimes volunteer/group work to be very frustrating.  Nobody wanted to make a decision, and they really were afraid to make a decision, so things just dragged on and on and that was hard for me.

Now?  No.  I don't want to plan and cater your parties, arrange for venues, produce brochures or do your website, come to endless meetings or be somewhere every day.  Thank you very much.

Respected Contributor

@On It

Isn't it great!

I no longer feel obligated to go to functions that don't interest me. I used to dread the job related Christmas parties and brunches that I attended to support my DH. 

Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@SunValley wrote:

The there was one organization I was interested in joining because their thrift shop helped women and children escaping domestic violence. But then I was politely told my social credentials were subpar for their elite membership. So I donate directly to the women's and children's shelter. 

What are one's "social credentials"?  I wonder if mine would qualify?

@deepwaterdotter I think their credentials had to do with bank accounts and "high society" social circle. Lol

Respected Contributor

@Sooner I could have written your post. I hear you 100%.

Honored Contributor

I am not much of a joiner.  I was a Girl Scout leader for some time when my daughter was young and when I was newly married I joined the ladies auxiliary at a fire house my DH volunteered at at his urging.

It didn't last too long.  I couldn't go to meetings or fund raisers because I had a baby and no baby sitter.  I was asked to donate baked goods for Monday night fund raiser dinners, which I did.  I made dozens of homemade pies, cakes and cookies that were supposed to be sold to the public for profit. We didn't have a lot of money back then, and it was a serious financial strain, but a good cause, so I did it every Monday night for almost a year.

I found out the other volunteers who showed up to work the dinners were taking the baked goods for themselves and not selling or paying for them.  That ended that.

Honored Contributor

I've given them a try on several occasions in my life. They never work out for me.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

I was never too much of a joiner.  I was a cheerleader in high school and on a gymnastics team but other than that not much.  I liked doing things with my kids when they were young like visiting parks, bike rides and nature walks.  I didn't care for commitments either, other than work.   I worked as a chairside dental assistant as many of you may know.  In that job I always interacted with patients and had to always be on top of my game and was always on a strict schedule .   I would  help in the front office too where I was on the phone constantly........now I don't care to talk on the phone much at all and forget about living on a schedule, No No No!!!!!

Respected Contributor

@tucsongal what a nice comment. Thank you.

Honored Contributor

I did join girl scouts only because I wanted to wear the uniform once a week to school LOL!. I hated earning badges... I was a bad girl scout!  Never joined anything again and have no desire to be part of a group now.