Honored Contributor

Re: Are/Were You A Joiner (Clubs or Organizations).

@On It   I'm with you on this.  I don't want to feel obligated and just go places when I want to!  While I am an extroverted introvet, I still would rather not have anything regularly scheduled.  I consider my home to be my refuge from  the world so I don't want anyone bothering me there.  I am a homebody and could happily never go anywhere.  My SO is the same.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I did join girl scouts only because I wanted to wear the uniform once a week to school LOL!. I hated earning badges... I was a bad girl scout!  Never joined anything again and have no desire to be part of a group now.

@SeaMaiden @Sounds like this story could be remade into a movie called "Bad Girl Scout." I can picture the comedy scenes in my head. Trying to earn the cooking badge making whipped cream in the kitchen with the mixer in hand and the whipped cream flying everywhere. 

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@On It   I'm with you on this.  I don't want to feel obligated and just go places when I want to!  While I am an extroverted introvet, I still would rather not have anything regularly scheduled.  I consider my home to be my refuge from  the world so I don't want anyone bothering me there.  I am a homebody and could happily never go anywhere.  My SO is the same.

Us too.  The quarantine made me realize that being around others is often overrated.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I was a Brownie and a Girl Scout when I was a kid. I never joined anything again. The older I get the more of a loner I become. Other then my sister and a couple friends, you're about the only people I have contact with.

Honored Contributor

I for sure am now, on a limited basis.  What I can handle.  I am waiting for the Sr Ctr to open again.  We get a new center next Feb., and I will be so happy to see my friends.

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal AMEN sister!  NO phone; NO schedule!  NO text cause I am not going to be at everyone's beck and call any more!  

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

When I was younger I was in a couple organizations.  One was a group of women from church and the other was a Jr.Women thing.

Helped with kids sports too.

At one point in my early 30s 3 friends and I joined a Wed. am bowling league.  We just did it for fun and it was, except for 2 other teams that thought the Pro Bowlers Association was going to sign them up.  Took it way too serious. We did it for 2 years and really enjoyed getting together but getting the death stare when we laughed wasn't worth it.

Now, at 70, not interested in joining anything.

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I have to agree.  At this age, I'm just not interested.  Most of my time is spent with my little granddaughters and I want to enjoy that as long as possible.   As a kid, I was in Brownies and Girl Scouts.  In high school,  I attended an art program at Carnegie Mellon in Pittsburgh every Saturday morning.  My dad drove me there and while waiting for me, he spent 3 hours in town shopping or snooping around Squirrel Hill in search of bagels for our ride home.  Once I got to college...I was "rushed" by 3 different sororities but I had no interest whatsoever...  The only thing I was part of was an art fraternity for men and women. We were all commercial art majors with common interests...It was fun with no pressure other than sharing our love of art.  

Valued Contributor

Yes, been part of all that, mostly high school and into college. One I continued through until I moved to Germany. It was fun in hs and college, but professionally, it became a chore while working not having time.

Did the stuff for kids like everyone else did.

Then I was part of several things as a military spouse, some were not enjoyable, some I did what I could to be helpful. When it came to retirement out of the military, I was the happy one. 

Ever since then, no way I would join anything again, I value my time to do what I want.  

Super Contributor

Yes I am a very active volunteer at the SPCA in my community.  I love the SPCA!   I wash and dry laundry and dishes;  clean dog and cat kennels;  assist with the pet pantry (this is a food bank for animals);  transport cats and dogs in the SPCA van;  assist with offsite events;  help with humane education for the children; at the front desk I check messages on the phone and call people; I also walk dogs.   I have been volunteering at the SPCA for over 2 years.  Last August I was able to retire so I am very thankful that I can provide additional hours to assist the SPCA with the life saving work we do.   My SPCA was recently voted best Non-profit and Animal-rescue in my community.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I did join girl scouts only because I wanted to wear the uniform once a week to school LOL!. I hated earning badges... I was a bad girl scout!  Never joined anything again and have no desire to be part of a group now.

@SeaMaiden @Sounds like this story could be remade into a movie called "Bad Girl Scout." I can picture the comedy scenes in my head. Trying to earn the cooking badge making whipped cream in the kitchen with the mixer in hand and the whipped cream flying everywhere. 

@Mindy D   They had a sewing badge....we had no sewing machine at home...my sweet Mom Hand sewed the apron we were suppose to sew. She earned me the badge.