Honored Contributor

Re: Are Uber cars all unmarked?

I would never get in any unmarked Uber or Lyft. The apps always give me a picture of the driver, color and make of the car. And license plate number, I am diligent about checking that. The Lyft app tells me that the driver has passed two required background checks in my state. Uber has just added more emergency features to the app. I have a contact in the Uber app who I can text when I'm on a ride if I choose to do that -it sends all the pertinent info to her. 

I can honestly say I've never felt unsafe in a  Uber or Lyft. I've had some great conversations with drivers, male and female. Have had so many male drivers who treat me with much more respect than my own brothers do.

I've had some unclean vehicles, some that are immaculate, some very quiet drivers and I'm fine with that. Have met some very kind strangers, some have told me touching stories about their own lives. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

I’ve been traveling a lot lately, and all my Uber experiences have been perfect. Yes, I check to be sure the car that pulls up is the one that the app says is coming. I did have to take a cab recently (the airline ordered it for me, due to their mistake) and it was old and dirty. The driver was just weird. The last Uber ride I took was in a late model BMW. Yes, I prefer Uber.
Esteemed Contributor

We were recently staying at a hotel.  We pulled in and an Uber had blocked the entrance while he dropped off one group and sat and waited for the next.  With us stuck behind him.  The girls came out and checked him, checked the license plate repeatedly, walked around, looked in the window again, checked the license plate again, over and over and over.   While we sat.  Heaven forbid the valet told him to pull over so others could go by.  But while I totally understood them doing that, I wondered if the license or something didn't match for them to keep checking and then going back to the driver's side over and over.  They eventually got in the car with him.  Or her. 

Honored Contributor

When we travel to Los Angeles we take Lyft all the time.  Sometimes there is a card in front that says lyft

To be honest I dont think Lyft drivers are as scrutinized by the law and regulations as lisenced taxi drivers are.  We have gotten into a couple cars that shouldnt be on the road.. Thank God we go a few blocks.  The last time at Thanksgiving we had to take a lyft from Woodland Hills to Downtown LA, which took 35 mins.  The driver was speeding so bad, to me anyway I yelled out loud on fear.  He was going 89, and in LA that may not be fast...I was praying for a policeman to arrest him.  I dont know if I will ever get back in a Uber or Lyft again

Honored Contributor

@cherry 

This is such a sad story.  This young lady lived in my area before I moved south.  The whole community is so saddened by this. 

Such a tragedy😢

Esteemed Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

When we travel to Los Angeles we take Lyft all the time.  Sometimes there is a card in front that says lyft

To be honest I dont think Lyft drivers are as scrutinized by the law and regulations as lisenced taxi drivers are.  We have gotten into a couple cars that shouldnt be on the road.. Thank God we go a few blocks.  The last time at Thanksgiving we had to take a lyft from Woodland Hills to Downtown LA, which took 35 mins.  The driver was speeding so bad, to me anyway I yelled out loud on fear.  He was going 89, and in LA that may not be fast...I was praying for a policeman to arrest him.  I dont know if I will ever get back in a Uber or Lyft again

I've seen taxis speeding too, just to be fair.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

I have no need to use those services, but if I did I may think twice. However my oldest granddaughter uses Uber sometimes, but with others along with her. One example; her friends and her all went out of town to a big city for her 21st birthday over  night. They let their cars sit, and called Ubers to get around instead of driving (especially if they had a few drinks). Also she said that's what young people do now even when they are in the area of their homes out and about for the night. But they go in twos or more to call Ubers. Anyway, her and her friends say they had no issues and the cars are clean, the drivers are wonderful, (and I hope they never do have any issues!). 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

All in all, it seems to be a really dumb idea for both passengers AND riders in today's world.  But nothing surprises me any more. 

Back in the 1960's we were told not to talk to strangers, now you just jump in the car with them, or pick them up in your car. . . And don't try to assure me it is a lovely idea.  No way am I buying that argument.  Sorry, but that's what I think.

taxi driver for the most part is a stranger too, 

I take cabs in NYC all the time, and often out of the city too.  I've never given it a second thought.  It's a way of life for a lot of people, but the driver is most definitely a stranger.

So Uber seems very safe to me.  As others have said, Uber sends identifying information ahead of time, including a photo of the driver, make & model of the car, and license plate number.  Drivers also have to pass a background check and meet other requirements.

I've honestly never had a bad experience in a cab, and I don't know anyone who has. In fact I've had some great conversations with interesting drivers.  But yes, I suppose there's some risk involved.  And the way I see it, Uber takes away a whole lot of that risk.

Respected Contributor

I've used Uber, cabs and car services extensively and without incident. If anything, I've thought that Uber and the car services were safer because I get information that identifies the car, license plate number and driver before I'm picked up. With a cab, it's just whomever you randomly get to pick you up. Even so, I've only had one unpleasant experience in a cab and it was merely confusion over my destination that was resolved to my satisfaction. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree @That wasn’t funny.That woman should consider herself lucky that she didn’t end up like the college student.."very dumb mistake  to get in the wrong vehicle with  a man you don’t know..Lucky for her your dh was the  driver and not some prowler.