Respected Contributor

Re: Are Uber cars all unmarked?

My daughter is a Lyft driver part-time and she has a sticker on her rear window.  I was afraid for her because of the people she would drive around with, but she says everyone is very nice.  She's a Social Worker and knows how to defend herself but I'm a mother.

Honored Contributor

I have used Uber and not only the car has a sticker on it (although anyone could do a fake sticker), but when I ordered to be picked up, they immediately sent me a photo of the person who would be picking me up, the name of the driver, the license plate number of the vehicle, and then the map to track where the driver was. It was very simple.

I frequently find that drivers do not look like their photos, so when I get in the car I look at the photo ID on the dashboard to make sure it matches the one sent to me.

And the tip was included in the cost, so everything was handled by the company, using my app, and the receipt was also emailed to me. No cash exchanged hands with the driver when I used it.

Honored Contributor

I had a neighbor that found her brother dead, in bed. She came running to my door screaming, she was so hysterical, she would have just jumped in anything  at that point

I stood in front of her chair, so she couldn't run outside , when the police arrived. She had no control, or judgement. Some people are just very high strung @reiki604 . It is how they are wired, they really can't help it. She was a lovely lady. and certainly not the type .that wasn't careful, but .when  she became distraught caution went right out the window

Honored Contributor

@reiki604 

I was picked up yesterday at the front entrance of our local hospital, it was very busy and  I checked the plate number I was give against the car. The drive then said Ellen and I said yes.  It is unfortunately that the girl was either drunk or naive or unaware how to find the correct info, the last statement bothers me since young people use Uber often

@reiki604 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

A person in a desperate situation, might not feel like that @reiki604 . If I was rushing to  the side of a sick ,or injured person, I might be more upset, than careful, and just want to get to them ,asap

I understand what you are saying but we all need  to be sensible and keep our heads together regardless of the circumstances. You're no help to anyone if you are so distraught you cant think or act straight..

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

All in all, it seems to be a really dumb idea for both passengers AND riders in today's world.  But nothing surprises me any more. 

Back in the 1960's we were told not to talk to strangers, now you just jump in the car with them, or pick them up in your car. . . And don't try to assure me it is a lovely idea.  No way am I buying that argument.  Sorry, but that's what I think.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My first uber experience for a ride to a surgery center for an endoscopy. I couldn't drive myself and since the procedure was so early in the morning I didn't want to bother my friends to take me. (A good friend picked me up later).

Not only did I receive the driver's information but also reviews of his former passengers. I learned that he was a talker and quite jovial. That put me at ease at six o'clock in the morning.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

Several months ago at work I ordered a car for myself (private service, not Uber or Lyft). Same setup, they text you drivers name, car, license plate. When the car pulled up, the license plates didn’t match. I went back inside our building lobby and called the car service. They told me the driver forgot to switch his personal license plate to the livery plate, as his shift just started, and that the correct plate was now on the car. I was told, “Oh it’s fine, you can get in.” It probably was fine but I canceled the ride. 

Honored Contributor

I’d be more worried if I were the Uber driver, people are crazy.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I had a neighbor that found her brother dead, in bed. She came running to my door screaming, she was so hysterical, she would have just jumped in anything  at that point

I stood in front of her chair, so she couldn't run outside , when the police arrived. She had no control, or judgement. Some people are just very high strung @reiki604 . It is how they are wired, they really can't help it. She was a lovely lady. and certainly not the type .that wasn't careful, but .when  she became distraught caution went right out the window

There are alway outliers or unusual extraordinary circumstances but I maintain we are responsible for our own action and reactions. If a person is so overwhelmed by a situation, they have no business making a decision or choice at that moment. That's not what this conversation is about. If I understood it correctly it was about whether or not Ubers or Lyfts were marked or unmarked. I believe we have determined they are marked and the rider is given appropriate information before they get in the car.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

I seriously do not understand the point of this thread.

It has been proven that Uber alerts the rider with all the info they need for a safe ride, she was responsible enough to signal for the Uber, why was not responsible to follow through.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.