Honored Contributor

Re: Are Today's teenagers lazy?

Many lawn maintenance companies in my area provide snow removal in the winter for a price.

Honored Contributor

Not the ones I know. In the past people were less concerned with safety. Now, how many would open their door to teenagers the don't  know? How many parents would feel it safe for their teenagers to go door to door?

Respected Contributor

Maybe everyone is because you don't have to leave the house to have a lot of entertainment. When I was growing up if you stayed inside you were bored to tears unless you loved to read all the time. You had to go outside to find something to do. We always walked to school and no one thought anything of it. But these days I do think a lot of kids are in more sports than they were back in my childhood. 

Honored Contributor

@purrmom wrote:

I grew up in chicago where you know we had lots of snow.  My brother, sister & I made a lot of money shoveling neighbor's sidewalks,  Even when I moved to Missouri teenage boys used to come around with their shovels.  Now that I can't  shovel because I',m elderly & alone, snow just keeps piling up on my driveway.  Do kids nowadays get too much money from their parents ar are they just lazy?

@purrmom I'm sure some are some aren't.  You can't lump all people into categories.  But on the other hand, I don't think you can expect neighbors to shovel your snow.

It's nice, but not something you would expect. 

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@purrmom wrote:

I grew up in chicago where you know we had lots of snow.  My brother, sister & I made a lot of money shoveling neighbor's sidewalks,  Even when I moved to Missouri teenage boys used to come around with their shovels.  Now that I can't  shovel because I',m elderly & alone, snow just keeps piling up on my driveway.  Do kids nowadays get too much money from their parents ar are they just lazy?

@purrmom I'm sure some are some aren't.  You can't lump all people into categories.  But on the other hand, I don't think you can expect neighbors to shovel your snow.

@Sooner 

I don't think the OP is expecting neighbors to shovel her snow for free.  Here kids come around door to door asking if you want your snow shoveled and you pay them.  I 'think' that's what she meant.

Honored Contributor

@itsmetoo wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@purrmom wrote:

@Sooner 

I don't think the OP is expecting neighbors to shovel her snow for free.  Here kids come around door to door asking if you want your snow shoveled and you pay them.  I 'think' that's what she meant.

@itsmetoo OK, but I don't see that kids are obligated to do that either.  Because they don't doesn't make them deserving of being tagged as "lazy." 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I grew up and lived in Chicago and the surrounding suburbs for 65 years. I have had more than my share of blizzards and snow storms!! Almost lost my life on more than one occasion. I left the snow, ice and wind behind when I moved to Florida Smiley LOL

I used to live in a home with my mother in the mid 2000's, with a 3 car garage and accompanied by a driveway for 3 cars. My policy was to go out every hour or two and remove the snow a little at a time. Some times that meant getting up in the middle of the night so I could go to work the next morning. We had a snow plow/blower, but most times I preferred a snow shovel. Others in the neighborhood (always men) chose to sit in and wait till the snow stopped and tackle the huge mounds of snow after a storm was over. 

I have found that I can never depend on anyone for anything. I never had boat loads of cash to pay a service to plow my property either.

Not lumping any group of people into a category, I have found working in the medical field that many in generations behing me have an undeserved sense of entitlement. Don't bother bashing me...it's one of the reasons why I left working with the public.

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@itsmetoo wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@purrmom wrote:

@Sooner 

@itsmetoo OK, but I don't see that kids are obligated to do that either.  Because they don't doesn't make them deserving of being tagged as "lazy." 

@Sooner 

Oh, I wasn't suggesting that kids that don't are lazy.  I was just explaining that I think that's what the OP meant and that she wasn't looking for a freebie.  Lots of kids around here like to shovel to earn some spending money.

Honored Contributor

As with every generation, some are lazy and some are not.

During the last snow fall, I saw two teens walking down the street with snow shovels.  I presumed they were looking for work.

We have a couple of snow blowers, as do many of my neighbors.  We do our own driveways and then help a few neighbors out by doing theirs. I don't think anyone pays to have their snow removed near me.

The majority of my neighbors have lawn service though.  They don't cut their own grass or do trimming and mulching.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@purrmom"I',m elderly & alone,"

Call your local Senior Service Dept or your AARP local chapter.  They will send "volenteers" to clear the snow & salt/gravel your property.  "Tipping" is optional but much appreciated.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif