Honored Contributor

Re: Are They Expecting Cash? Wedding Couple another Registered Anywhere.

A registry for people in their 60’s would be absolutely ridiculous. 

I’d buy a card and inside the card I’d give a gift card to one of their favorite restaurants.  I would go no further than that.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Since they have downsized and being in their 60's, the last thing they would need is another picture frame or crystal vase. Wine or a restaurant gift card would be appropriate.  

Honored Contributor

I would give wine, restaurant gift card, couples massage, or a fruit of the month subscription or something similar 

Honored Contributor

@wildlifewitch wrote:

@Mindy D If your husband is besties with the groom have just ask him what they want. You're not telepaths.

I’m besties too, but I hate asking what he wants for a wedding gift. I know he wants a fish tank. He’s been bugging me for mine for years. The bride wants a Roomba. These two gifts would be very expensive. My female bestie and I discussed going in for a very special gift together. I might bring up the tank and the Roomba. 

Honored Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

People in thier 60's on a second and third marriage making a big deal of a wedding is 

inappropriate to say the least. To expect gifts is nothing short of tacky. A card and a donation in their name to a charity would be all that I would offer. Or if they imbibe a nice bottle of wine. They most likely do not need or want any more dodads. 

They did not say they expect gifts.

Honored Contributor

@kittyloo wrote:

i do not believe the couple has actually sent out invitations yet. i would hope with their age and previous marriage status, it has  "no gifts" on the invites.

i'm sure though that even if it does, most will chime in about arriving with a gift anyway.

personally this drives me bonkers.  if the invite states no gifts (which we don't know yet) why does everyone want to ignore this request, and bring one anyway. 

this aspect has been discussed multiple times on here.

The invitation doesn’t specify no gifting. They probably don’t expect a gift from everyone.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

If it’s your husband’s best friend, just invite them over for a

nice dinner after the wedding.  I really don’t understand why

the gift-giving process is so hard. In this day/age, if they don’t 

tell me exactly who/what/when/where, they don’t want anything.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with attending a wedding

without a gift.  

We’ve had them over a million times. I don’t think they are expecting gifts, but I think that  we should gift something. I’m on the fence right now.

Honored Contributor

I am much closer to the groom. He and she are the two most energetic people I know. They both never sit down. He loves STUFF. The more the better to him. She wants enough stuff but not extra. She took two years to get him to get rid of a ton of duplicates of things. That’s not to say she wouldn’t care for something if that something is a thing she has been wanting, needing and doesn’t have. 

@Sooner wrote:

I am an older person and I do not want to spend my golden years dusting stuff.  I cannot imagine in any way that these people would want stuff.

We got rid of a ton of stuff and moved to a bigger house and it is the best thing we ever did. 

I also can't imagine worrying about other than getting a restaurant or other gift card and a nice card, writing a sweet note in it and going on about my day.  My day NOT dusting or worrying about picking out stuff for people. 

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

My close friend is marrying. The couple are in their sixties. This is my friend’s second marriage. He’s been divorced about eighteen years. This is the bride’s third marriage. They have plenty of money. They have also had to trim down their possessions by the ton in order to live together in their brand new house. The groom is my husband’s best friend. The wedding is a big to do. What should we give them? They have so much money. What about a Vitamix? The one thing I know the bride has been wanting is a robotic vacuum (Roomba). She had mentioned the floor washing Roomba in a conversation we had last year. The really good vacuuming ones are  is $400-$700. The cheaper ones are not highly rated.  That’s way out of my price range. Only my husband will be able to attend the ceremony. I hate giving money, but will have to if necessary. Is the fact that they’re not registered a hint that they want cash?

SORRY THERE’S A TYPO IN THE TITLE. “Another,” should have read, “Aren’t.

@Mindy DAt their age and at the number of marriages I can see why they are trimming down and getting rid of a ton of stuff.

They don't need more "stuff"-silver photo frames, vases, all things that need dusting and may not just fit into their tastes.

I also wouldn't give a wall deoration such as a print or painting; again, those are really personal and taste-driven.

I would stick to the restaurant gift card and let the rest be.   They have the $$ to decorate and furnish their new home as they see fit.

Keep it simple.  It's about the marriage, not the gift-which, btw, you are not obligated to give anyway.

Maybe a card to a VERY expensive restaurant such as Ruth Chris. Something that is special because we are always giving our friends restaurant gift card. 

Esteemed Contributor

Not registering for gifts just means they didn't register for gifts.  Not everyone does, and I would never think it meant they just want cash.  Most likely they're not focused on gifts at all.

In this situation, I would probably give a gift card to a favorite restaurant of theirs or something along those lines.  And I would include a card or note  expressing my affection for them and best wishes for many happy years together.