Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are They Expecting Cash? Wedding Couple another Registered Anywhere.

@Mindy D  At some point, people do not need more stuff.   Either a nice card with a restaurant gift card, or maybe a watercolor painting (make it on the small side) of their new home.  Or, a pretty front-door wreath, and they are not inexpensive.  If they have a favorite charity, a donation.  Don't overdo it.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

If there’s no registry, maybe they do not want cash either.   I like the restaurant gift certificate in a card idea if you decide you want to give something.

@tansy To me this is the only appropriate thing to give.  A night out.  If they have downsized and have a new house they surely do NOT want stuff. 

Just a nice congrats card and a nice out is a thoughtful gife and will be very welcome.  Don't give them a "oh what will we do with that" gift especially if they just downsized.  

Respected Contributor

A selection of QVC wine. You could have it shipped to them.

Honored Contributor

At their stage/status in life with multiple previous weddings/showers/gifts for both sides, I'm surprised that they expect gifts. 

I would make a charitable contribution in their name.

If there's a charitable cause that they care about or choose a reputable charity yourself.

They wouldn't complain, that would be too tacky.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Given the fact that this is not a first marriage for either of them, I would say they aren't registered because they already have duplicates of everything they already need and don't want or need more stuff.

This is just my own opinion and feeling - a donation to a charity, any charity, in their name is the worst gift ever unless it was something they specifically asked for.

Esteemed Contributor

If they have so much money they can get their own roomba. I would just gift wine or a fancy frame, crystal vase or something along that line.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

How old and going on 2nd & 3rd marriage & plenty of $? If this is a close friend why are you asking? I think giving a gift to a couple with this background wouldn't be appropriate. A card, a bottle of champagne. Wouldn't go overboard. KISS.

Respected Contributor

They may not want gifts as others mentioned.  Have you gotten the invitation yet?  I have seen some invitations that include a card listing couples' favorite charity/organization in lieu of gifts.

Otherwise I agree a card and gift certificate to a fine dining establishment.

Honored Contributor

@ahoymate wrote:

How old and going on 2nd & 3rd marriage & plenty of $? If this is a close friend why are you asking? I think giving a gift to a couple with this background wouldn't be appropriate. A card, a bottle of champagne. Wouldn't go overboard. KISS.

I’m asking because this seems strange to me and I just don’t want to come right out and say, “Do you want a gift.” 

Honored Contributor

If they don’t want gifts, wouldn’t they indicate that on the invitation ?

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan