Respected Contributor

Re: Are They Expecting Cash? Wedding Couple another Registered Anywhere.

[ Edited ]

Since I rarely drink a gift of any kind of alcohol would be a bad choice....wine I just can't drink at all and for some reason people will gift that the most LOL! Poured many down the drain...total waste of money.  IF you know they drink wine then great IF not don't bother!

I like the restaurant suggestion....the best as I love to eat out LOL!  

Couples massages sounds good too....IF they like that kind of thing.

Since you know them well I would think either of these or even both as a gift is MORE then enough.  

Getting them fish tanks and vacuums seems WAY over the top and I wouldn't do either of those things for sure.

Esteemed Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

Since I rarely drink a gift of any kind of alcohol would be a bad choice....wine I just can't drink at all and for some reason people will gift that the most LOL! Poured many down the drain...total waste of money.  IF you know they drink wine then great IF not don't bother!

I like the restaurant suggestion....the best as I love to eat out LOL!  

Couples massages sounds good too....IF they like that kind of thing.

Since you know them well I would think either of these or even both as a gift is MORE then enough.  

Getting them fish tanks and vacuums seems WAY over the top and I wouldn't do either of those things for sure.

I would be careful about alcohol too.  A lot of people don't drink - for various reasons. Far too often, it's the go-to gift when people don't know what to give.

I feel the same about couples massages, spa days, and things of that type.  Some people would love that, but others would not.  (I received a gift certificate for a spa day once, and I gave it away.  Just not appealing to me at all.)

I think a restaurant gift card is the best option.  It would be a night out, and they can choose whatever they want.  That seems like a pretty safe bet to me.  Of course the OP seems to know these people pretty well, so if she thinks they would appreciate wine or massages or whatever, then IMO those are good options too.

Esteemed Contributor

Given all that the OP said about them, I’m surprised the invite didn’t say “no gifts please.”

Keepin' it real.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Going with the closeness to the couple as the OP stated I think she would be aware of whether alcohol is accepted or not.  Usually comes up with close friends at one time or another.  As far as the cash I would be a bit offended or at least saddened if someone I considered a close dear friend gave me cold hard cash as a gift.  Make it a special gift from your heart without any thought to a price tag. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Valued Contributor

They're not expecting any gifts at all.  They've liquidated two houses and have fully furnished their current house.  They're older, established, and well off.  

Honored Contributor

My pillows

LR home decor

picture frame

Mrs. Prindable's