Honored Contributor

Re: Are They Expecting Cash? Wedding Couple another Registered Anywhere.

If it’s your husband’s best friend, just invite them over for a

nice dinner after the wedding.  I really don’t understand why

the gift-giving process is so hard. In this day/age, if they don’t 

tell me exactly who/what/when/where, they don’t want anything.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with attending a wedding

without a gift.  

Honored Contributor

I too am on board with getting a restaurant gift card. If you know of  a place they frequent often get them a gift certificate for that place.

The king-queen towels are also cute and useful gift.

Respected Contributor

If they are good friends,just ask.

Honored Contributor

I would not give them money, I wouldn't give a couple as your describe them money for a wedding gift.  They aren't registered so that makes it hard.  You say she's a good friend so you've been to her home, you know her tastes.  You know her style.  You should be able to think of something lovely.  Silver picture frames, crystal vase.  Something.  As for money, while money is often appropriate for weddings, no one is ever required to give money.  

Respected Contributor

At that age they should at least put in the invitation to give money to a charity of their choice. If they give fine if not ok but really what would you give? If anything a gift card to a resturant. I really think they just want guests to come & enjoy the day. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I am an older person and I do not want to spend my golden years dusting stuff.  I cannot imagine in any way that these people would want stuff.

We got rid of a ton of stuff and moved to a bigger house and it is the best thing we ever did. 

I also can't imagine worrying about other than getting a restaurant or other gift card and a nice card, writing a sweet note in it and going on about my day.  My day NOT dusting or worrying about picking out stuff for people. 

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Given the fact that this is not a first marriage for either of them, I would say they aren't registered because they already have duplicates of everything they already need and don't want or need more stuff.

This is just my own opinion and feeling - a donation to a charity, any charity, in their name is the worst gift ever unless it was something they specifically asked for.

totally agree

Respected Contributor

A second and third marriage and in their 60's? They are in need of nothing. If you just gave them a nice card and a bottle of champagne that would be fine.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good for them for not being registered.  I know it's not a popular opinion,  but I find gift registries tacky, lol., especially for those that have  been married multiple times.  

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

My close friend is marrying. The couple are in their sixties. This is my friend’s second marriage. He’s been divorced about eighteen years. This is the bride’s third marriage. They have plenty of money. They have also had to trim down their possessions by the ton in order to live together in their brand new house. The groom is my husband’s best friend. The wedding is a big to do. What should we give them? They have so much money. What about a Vitamix? The one thing I know the bride has been wanting is a robotic vacuum (Roomba). She had mentioned the floor washing Roomba in a conversation we had last year. The really good vacuuming ones are  is $400-$700. The cheaper ones are not highly rated.  That’s way out of my price range. Only my husband will be able to attend the ceremony. I hate giving money, but will have to if necessary. Is the fact that they’re not registered a hint that they want cash?

SORRY THERE’S A TYPO IN THE TITLE. “Another,” should have read, “Aren’t.

@Mindy DAt their age and at the number of marriages I can see why they are trimming down and getting rid of a ton of stuff.

They don't need more "stuff"-silver photo frames, vases, all things that need dusting and may not just fit into their tastes.

I also wouldn't give a wall deoration such as a print or painting; again, those are really personal and taste-driven.

I would stick to the restaurant gift card and let the rest be.   They have the $$ to decorate and furnish their new home as they see fit.

Keep it simple.  It's about the marriage, not the gift-which, btw, you are not obligated to give anyway.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh