Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are They Expecting Cash? Wedding Couple another Registered Anywhere.

Just because they're are not registered does not mean they are expecting cash gifts.  It may mean the couple will accept any gifts given or they're not expecting any gifts given their life status. The bride-to-be is close friend, you should know what she would like in the way of a gift.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

May I suggest a cut crystal wedding frame....

Our family collects and exhibits various wedding photo frames......The sterling silver frames tarnish and constantly require silver  upkeep,  so we polished them and donated them.  

Then we chose cut crystal with gold swirls engraved deep into the crystal frame which is gorgeous.

We chose it for a 10X10 wedding photo which fit so well of the happy couple on the day of their wedding.

They had a photographer and a small wedding so they did want 10X10 wedding albums custom made for themselves, and the bride and groom's parents.

They loved the cut crystal etched wedding frame, and to this day still thank us, and proudly exhibit it on their piano facing the sofa in their entertainment/music room where they mostly gather.

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

If they don’t want gifts, wouldn’t they indicate that on the invitation ?

I wish I knew.  

Respected Contributor

To want or expect gifts when you are on your 2nd or 3rd marriage and are in your 60's is wildly inappropriate. 

Trusted Contributor

Add me to the list of those who say that no gift is wanted/needed or necessary. I like the donation idea, but would not want anyone buying something like art for me, because it is such a personal preference. Dinner, maybe, or maybe there is a touring Broadway-type show that is coming and you could get tickets for that?

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D : Considering the downsizing- best gift: gift card for special meal. I do not want art purchased for me . Two years ago added on larger family room. I have two friends that like to cover every inch of a wall and every inch of floor space and that is there choice but we are handicap using walkers and walking canes. I chose neutral calm wall colors and display a few scriptures. Wanted the room easy to rearrange for extra tables etc. The two friends purchased two large prints and told me where to hang them in the new room!!!I thanked them for the gifts and mentioned several other friends enjoy the room because it is peaceful and not cluttered. I still have the prints but they are not not our style or color. DH suggested hanging them in the garage and start a new decorating trend for our neighborhood. Southern Bee 

Respected Contributor

Second and third marriages for people in their fifties and sixties should not expect big gifts. Small gift and enjoy their day.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D, if they are your close friends why not ask the question. For example, ¨if you all arent registered anywhere, how would your guest know what to get as wedding presents?

Thatś how you would find out if they are expecting gifts or not.

Respected Contributor

How about gift certificate for a couples massage?

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

If they did not want gifts it would be on the invitation. I do not go to any party without a gift. I also would not give a gift based on how much money they have or do not have, If they enjoy wine a wine of the month club type gift might be appropriate. An  overnight stay at a spa might be appreciated. It all depends on how much you are willing to spend. I hate donations as a gift.