Trusted Contributor

Re: Are New Yorkers Unfriendly

@Jordan2 ... When l saw your post l clicked on it thinking you meant New York STATE...not New York CITY !!!! New York City is not the only city in New York State.....

I'm not being snarky...because I am one of those people who is very friendly to everyone!! ...but at 70, I am saying l am tired of everyone thinking "New York" is just "the" city because it's not. Your city is just a part of our great state!
Honored Contributor

I agree that "unfriendly" is not the right word.

When I moved south from NY, I had a hard time at work, especially in the customer service aspect.  I'm direct, I'm fast, I cut through the b*and*s.  I do not sugar coat anything.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jaspersmom wrote:

Brooklyn born and have lived on LI for many, many, many years.  Most of the people I know are friendly, but I gotta tell you, I do know some who are the stereotypical, know-it-all, loud mouth NYers.  Can't stand them.  Anyway, people are people. NYers are talkers and will strike up a conversation with nearly anyone.  Usually when a NYer meets someone. one of the first few questions are where do they live and what do they do for a living.  I was at a funeral in the Midwest years ago and met many people who had been friends with my MIL.  One man came over and introduced himself and started making some small talk.  I asked him the typical NY questions including what he did for a living.  His response was, "Well, little lady, you certainly know how to ask some nosey questions, don't you?"  I was so taken aback and left speechless.  I mentioned it to my husband who was from that part of the country and he said that's not a typical question people from the Midwest get asked when they first meet someone.  I still think  asking that question shows an interest in the other person and is not meant to be intrusive at all.  

Seems to me he was the one who was rude.  I would not have been left speechless, although out of consideration for the surroundings I would have surpressed/modified the response he otherwise would have gotten. 

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

@EastCoastGal wrote:
@Jordan2... When l saw your post l clicked on it thinking you meant New York STATE...not New York CITY !!!! New York City is not the only city in New York State.....

I'm not being snarky...because I am one of those people who is very friendly to everyone!! ...but at 70, I am saying l am tired of everyone thinking "New York" is just "the" city because it's not. Your city is just a part of our great state!

@EastCoastGal  I'm sorry if you took offense, that wasn't my intention. Most people though do think of New Yorkers coming from NYC. Also like it or not when people talk about New York football teams, they tend to speak about the Giants and Jets ( who actually play in New Jersey) disregarding the Buffalo Bills who I believe will be playing for a Superbowl shot!

Respected Contributor

@VaBelle35  I so know what you mean.  

I learned the hard way coming from London to U.S. to California initially when asked for an opinion be very careful how you answer - you can, and I did, end up in trouble.   In U.K. we tell it how it is - not in a rude way, but an honest reply -  here, sometimes, you have to sugarcoat replies ending with a hug or ‘love you’ - not in N.Y. though and I understand that.

Honored Contributor

I will be honest.  Many people in and around the NYC area are rude and pushy.  Not every person. Most  are nice and friendly.

I have t raveled all over the USA and can say with complete honestly, they are not  the worse.  That title belongs to another area in a different state.

Honored Contributor

You say pushy, I say assertive.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dulwich wrote:

@VaBelle35  I so know what you mean.  

I learned the hard way coming from London to U.S. to California initially when asked for an opinion be very careful how you answer - you can, and I did, end up in trouble.   In U.K. we tell it how it is - not in a rude way, but an honest reply -  here, sometimes, you have to sugarcoat replies ending with a hug or ‘love you’ - not in N.Y. though and I understand that.

One can give an honest opinion with kindness, and that is sometimes  demonstrated right here on these boards. If you want to call that “sugarcoating,” so be it. I often find “I just tell it like it is” to be an excuse for rudeness. 

Esteemed Contributor

Have you heard the joke -- When you first meet, East Coast will ask what you do for a living. West Coast will ask what project you're working on. Midwest will ask if you've tried the new wings at Buffalo Wild Wings.

When I was younger, an intimidating professor, from New York, responded abruptly when I gave him the answer -- "I'll try." He said, with enthusiasm, DON'T TRY - DO. My immediate thought was -- don't take offense he's from the east coast, then I realized he was quoting Yoda from Star Wars. We became good work friends after that. 

I don't think it's about location. It's more about individuals. Over the years, some of  the rudest people I met were at church.     

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I once went on a European tour with a fellow New Yawker - happened to sit behind a couple from Joisey. We hit it off and gabbed on the bus and dined together. Many have said to us, wow you guys talk fast. 

I did not know that asking what you did for a living as rude. It isn't as though you asked how much money he makes at that job, right?

There will be good/bad friendly/unfriendly people in every city, state, country, gender, race, ethnicity PERIOD